Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Close call with Bobcat >

Close call with Bobcat

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Close call with Bobcat

Old 10-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Close call with Bobcat

Was out the other day for an evening bow hunt, was hunting on the ground for a change of pace, and noticed some movement to my right, out of nowhere this bobcat shows up, must have heard my turkey calling. Anyway he was only 15 feet away when I first saw him, and there was nothing between us except air, so I just froze and hoped he would angle down the hill a little, no luck, he walked right up to me, he was up wind so he couldn't detect me yet. He came within arms reach of me, and we were looking into each others eyes, what a beatiful creature! Biggest Bob I have ever seen. Almost 3 feet from nose to rump. anyway, I couldn't stare anymore, and had to blink, you should have seen the look on his face change! Like, OH $H!T, what am I so close too! he turned and bolted, and I started to shake, took me a 1/2 an hour to stop. What an experience to be that close to a wild Bob! They are truely beatiful!
Old 10-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Close call with Bobcat

Thats an awesome experience and you are right they are beautiful
Old 10-22-2006, 04:52 PM

Awesome experience heck, I'd have had to leave the woods cuz I woulda messed my pants up pretty good at that point. We don't have anything threatening around here other than rutting deer and yotes. I have had one close encounter with a yote, and it was eery. It wasn't during hunting either... I was sitting out on my front step when I lived out in Timbuctu years ago, smoking a cigarette and I looked across the road (bout 40 feet away) and there was a freakin' yote just laying there in pouncing position staring at me. I freaked out and ran inside. The guy I was living with had a shotgun in the closet, I told him about it and he ran out to try to shoot it, but it was gone. I had never seen one before, hadn't even heard them, but to see his eyes shining from the front door light and to have him staring at me like I was some kind of chickenleg or something... it was enough to make me shake.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:32 PM

Thats a neat story too bad it wasnt season...
Old 10-22-2006, 09:48 PM
Typical Buck

That would scare the crap out of me! Cool to think about but if it happened, he would have heard me crying! Thanks for sharing.
Brandon
Old 10-23-2006, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

That is soooo cool Mastevt!! I had a similar experience probably 4 years ago now. I was rifle hunting and ole Bob came right to me. He kept coming and coming directly at me. When he was about 2 feet from the bottom of my boots, I swung the rifle at him (just in case he was thinking I was a scratching post) and he froze, hadthat 'oh no' lookand bolted. What I remember most is the tufts on his ears and the size of his paws, just huge. Would have made a dandy mount, but unfortunately no cat season here.