Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 you shoot a deer on the last night of the hunt, now what? >

you shoot a deer on the last night of the hunt, now what?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

you shoot a deer on the last night of the hunt, now what?

Old 10-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default you shoot a deer on the last night of the hunt, now what?

if i shoot a deer right as its getting dark, and im leaving that night, but i dont want to push the deer, is it ok to leave that deer there for a week until i come up next weekend? or will something eat it or it goes bad?
Old 10-19-2006, 07:56 PM

Default RE: you shoot a deer on the last night of the hunt, now what?

It will go bad over a week.

If its your last night, only take a shot that will warrant a double lung hit.

I'd keep it within 20 yards and perfectly broadside.

Unless you completely flub, you should be OK retrieving that deer the same night.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are you out of your freakin mind . Not a chance if you can't finish what you started don't start it . That deer will spoil for sure, if the coyote's and bear's don't get at it .
If I were you I'd just call it a hunt and not go out on the evening hunt ,hunt the morning and if you get a deer ,then you'll have time to find it ,but if your leaving and don't have time to find it then don't go hunting .

You need to have a little respect for the animal ,and if you can't make a quick kill then don't shoot.

nubo
Old 10-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stay and recover your deer. If you are not sure of a clean shot don't take it. If you have to leave camp later than planned then leave later than planned. If your schedule does not leave enough time to wait and then track your deer then don't hunt that last night. What are your priorities?
Old 10-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

NO, YOU cannot leave a deer lay unattended for a week and expect to recover salvagable meat. That would be unethical and wasteful.

Like nubo said, if you can't finish the job, don't take the chance and shoot at last light. Know your limitations and abide by them.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

First of all, I wouldn't shoot close to dark if I had to leave. Have you been hunting the "whole" day or just a few hoursin the morning,then getting down and having lunch ect. and then going back in the evening?

I think I would just take something to snack on and stay in the stand untill a few hours before dark. I guess it really depends on the terrain I hadtrack in. I was in shawnee national forest a couple weeks ago and I would hate to have to track downsome ofthosevalley's.....[&:] It's easier to say you wouldn't shoot, when every shot we imagine is going through the boiler room..
Old 10-19-2006, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

if i shoot a deer right as its getting dark, and im leaving that night, but i dont want to push the deer, is it ok to leave that deer there for a week until i come up next weekend? or will something eat it or it goes bad?
Are you frickin kiddin?
Old 10-19-2006, 08:46 PM

i wouldn't eat a deer left out over a day here but we have high temps(texas) The coyotes would have a feast within 1 or 2 days maybe even less if there was lots of blood. Its ridiculous to even think of leaving an animal out for over a day i would think. If worse comes to worse just call in sick the next day, hunting is more important anyhow.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

theres been alot of times i had time to hunt but didnt go because of time AFTER. if im obligated to something RIGHT after i know i wont have time to finish the job if i score. i hunt alot before class or work depending on the day..if i got a test or something in class i wont hunt incase i would score. by the time i track, gut, drag, take to a butcher etc im looking at a couple hours EASY..plus clean up. and im prepared to call off work need be or skip a class if i know its not THAT important...leaving a deer for a week youll probably never see it again. stay over and find it or dont shoot!
Old 10-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have a commitment to recover the animal. I wouldn't hunt if I was leaving the same evening! It's called planning. If I'm hunting in the evening away from home, I'm planning to stay until morning if I get a deer. If I don't I may leave that evening.

Quick Reply: you shoot a deer on the last night of the hunt, now what?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.