Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 coyotes chasing deer >

coyotes chasing deer

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

coyotes chasing deer

Old 10-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default coyotes chasing deer

Well I was out hunting this morning and at about 10:30 and small deer comes running by, then a minute later I see a coyote coming up the same trail. Well that pissed me off that it was chasing the deer. So I drilled him as soon as he got close. The coyotes have been getting bad around here and I thought enough is enough. At first I thought I nailed him to the ground as he was flopping around before he took off. Then after waiting about a half hour or more I figured I would head in for the morning. Much to my amazement he chewed the arrow in half. So my broad head is still in him. I tracked him for a little ways but he went into some thickets and I didn't think it would have been a real good idea at that point to be looking for him if he was injured and pissed off. He will die theres no doubt in my mind. I just didn't want to risk getting to close and not being able to shoot him with my bow in the thickets and it was very thick. I figure I will look for him tomorrow or look for where the crows are gathering. So do you all think I did the right thing????????? there just has been so many coyotes around hear anymore and they are getting brave by coming in close to the house at nights.

P.S. I did see a nice 6 to 8 point in the evening but nothing I could get a shot at. Trying my luck tomorrow.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: coyotes chasing deer

Shoot as many and as often as you can!! Let the buzzards have him.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:59 PM

saw that this summer and not to many people believed me that a coyote would do that

ive seen coyotes chew there foot off in a foot trap before
Old 10-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

A coyote is an awesome trophy and mount/rug if you choose to after your recovery. I do not however agree with flyinfeathers, killing to let lie is a waste and unethical regardless of animal, IMO.

Here's my coyote I took with my bow.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot them all, every time you can, you will never put a dent in their populations. He probably snapped the arrow off when he was flipping around. I saw one grab the hind leg tendon on a mature doe once in gun season. They do in fact take mature deer if the opportunity presents. Nothing goes to waste in the woods. You did the right thing, IMO.
Nice shot, too.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

My wife loves that pic of your yote, Rob. (She's seen it before in other posts...) She really wants me to get one and have it mounted like that.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take as many as opportunity permits, but have total respect for them as a game animal as they will probably still be around long after we kill each other off
Old 10-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

How do they taste? Seriously. Has anybody heard of eating coyote?

Sounds nasty to me - about like eating dog meat.

The reason I ask is because I don't like to kill things I can't eat.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Spike

just like chicken just add more salt & pepper.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the input guys. I do agree with you gzg38bandRob/PA Bowyer I don't like to shoot something I am not going to use in some way. But in this case I figured it was a little more justifiable.

That is a very cool mount you have of one. I'm sure I would not be able to afford having such a mount. I would rather have that " big buck " mounted if I can ever find him LOL. If I can find the coyote I will probably take it in for the pelt. Thanks again everyone for your input. Going out again hunting this morning, lets see if Mr. buck comes out to play.

Strait shooting all!!

Quick Reply: coyotes chasing deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.