Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Maximum Confident Shooting Range??? >

Maximum Confident Shooting Range???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Maximum Confident Shooting Range???

Old 10-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Maximum Confident Shooting Range???

I like to shhot 30or less but i still havr a 40yrd shoot and practice at the distance
Old 10-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

mowbowhunter -

Your shooting must have improved dramatically over the last 2 years because I just read on another thread (first shot at a deer thread) that you missed 4 deer within 20 minutes just 3 years ago! Now you can hit vitals 9 out of 10 times at 60 yards? I find that amazing. To what do you attribute this sudden improvement?
Old 10-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

My max would be 25 - 30 yards. But all of my spots really only go out to aboiut 20 - 25.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:46 PM

gzg, it's called PRACTICE, and LOTS of it. Since those 2 years ago, I shoot every other day usually, and on the typical week I shot 3-400 arrows. I don't shoot that many in a week now, but I did for a long time. Do you doubt that in 2 years with diligent practice a feller could improve that much? Oh, and a dramatic upgrade in equipment. It all makes a difference.

You're still not judging, right?
Old 10-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Dominant Buck

I used to shoot NFAA tournaments for years. We shoot those out to 80 yards. I've come to the opinion that a deer at beyond 30 yards is far less likely to drop, jump the string or whatever you want to call it. I've shot some at 40 and missed a couple at beyond 50. Both I had quickly said 45. Both were a quick decision in a hole that I hadn't ranged for and didn't have time to. Both were a bit further and the arrows fell low. One arrow had brisket fat and hair on one blade. I watched the deer bolt, stop, look around, walk some more and stop and stare back trying to figure out what the noise was. I finally watched him wander over the hill feeding. Imagine my surprise when I found tallow on one blade. Where he stood the first time there was a small glob of blood but no more. I had watched the arrow fall under him right behind the front leg. I mean it must have just shaved him. Your chances of a miss are probably better than a wound. I don't know about the rest of you but my left right is usually great, it's range estimation that screws us.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

No I don't doubt it at all if you've really practiced that much in the last two years. I just thought it seemed a little strange. 5 minutes ago I read how you missed 4 deer in 20 minutes and then the next thing I read the same guy is 100% confident he can hit vitals 9 out of 10 times at 50 yards. I had to look twice to see if it was the same guy.

Congrats on improving your shooting so quickly!
Old 10-18-2006, 06:55 PM

LOL....yeah, that would be cause to have a second look. It can be done, though, but it takes determination. It wasn't quickly, either. I also agree with david's post. That ole boy knows a thing or two now!
Old 10-18-2006, 06:58 PM

well so far i have shot 3 deer and 1 was about 10 yds away and the other 2 were just over 25 yds.

I would maxs my self at about 35. 40 if everything was perfect.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:58 PM

Well, I CAN shoot out to 30, but I would much prefer less than 20. I haven't practiced enough at 30 to be completely comfortable taking a shot at a deer unless it was wide open and perfectly broadside, even then, I doubt I would take it. I'm with some of the others, I don't really have to worry about it with my stand location, everything I can shoot is within 20 yards. I am not the best judge of distance either, and I haven't marked off my yardages from my stand. My husband stepped it off for me in every direction when we hung the stand.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:06 PM

It's very interesting to read all of the differing opinons on this topic. I kinda knew the subject would cause such a responce. See, like many of you out there, I too can put 9 out of 10 Montec-tipped Easton Axis 400 arrows on a paper plate at 60 yards. But that paper plate does not twitch, flinch or jump. Lots of us have watched deer @ 15 yards duck our arrow. But just to further the debate some more, how fast does the sound of an ultra-quiet, vibration-freebow travel?? Answer: the same speed as a noisy bow: 1,200-something feet per second. And our ultra-hot, brand-spankin'-new bows shoot how fast???? Ahhhh. (I too can't shoot a living animal past 30)

Quick Reply: Maximum Confident Shooting Range???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.