Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting from a ground blind for the first time >

Hunting from a ground blind for the first time

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting from a ground blind for the first time

Old 10-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting from a ground blind for the first time

I am going to sit on the water hole trailsin the morning in my ground blind for the first time. This will be my first time ever using a blind- any advice or things I should do or shouldn't do? I already practiced shooting out of it today.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting from a ground blind for the first time

Make sure you keep the windows behind you closed
When you first get set up, practice drawing a couple times from the position you plan to be sitting in just to make sure you have enough room

Old 10-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Practice shots are critical. You must be able to draw without touching the blind. I've also seen guys shoot arrows into the wall of the blind because the arrow is several inches below the sight pins.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

If you can mark your distances that will help. I hunted out of a blind for the first time on Saturday and it was difficult for me to judge at first. If you can put out a yard marker that may help. I also ended up on my knees practicing so I could shoot out either window. You may not have to worry about that if you are shooting through mesh. I didn't have a chance to practice through the mesh so I positioned it to shoot out the windows. I was using a double bull T2.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

My blind says it has shoot through mesh but how does that work? When I picked it up it had a big hole in the mesh. Looks like someone tried it and returned it.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:28 PM

no, It said shoot thru mesh..... so they did...LOL

Old 10-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Typical Buck

Hunted off the ground and killed my first 3 deer from the ground including my first buck. You need to be more still, and make sure you spray down very well before and after you get to your spot. Your scent will not be able to blow over the deer's nose like it will sometimesin a stand. I'd say hunting from the ground is the most difficult thing I've done while out hunting, but when you get a deer it feels awesome.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:21 AM
Spike

I have an Ameristep ground blind set up for bowhunting. I can't believe the success I have had this year. I only wish I had used the thing the last two years I have owned it. Now I believe in it.

I "tested" the capability of my ground blind on 4 hen turkeys. They were feeding out in front of me at 20 yards. I raised and lowered my bow lots of times- they never saw me. I tried to do it when they were facing my way. I drew on them, scooted up to the window in a time to shoot position- all good.

I wear dark camo & face mask. The chair choice is crucial. Those nylon camp chairs are no good, too noisy. You want to be sitting up higher than the bottom of your window as someone else warned. I don't think you need to shoot thru the windows. The deer just can't see you in the "cave."