Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ethical or not?

Old 10-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ethical or not?

For the past few nights, several does and small bucks have been coming in front of my house to eat on acorns. These deer are not pets to me, these are the same deer that I see come out into a food plot every night when I hunt it.

Now would you think it was ethical to put a stand up (no kidding) 40 yards from my front porch where these deer alwayscross on the way to the oak trees. The tree they end up feeding under is only17 yards from my bedroom window (I ranged it). During the rut last year I sat in my kitchen window as two different 140 inch deer fed and chased does under these trees.

I could sit up on the food plot that they cross first, but this is a gamble, as it is hard to get into and hid without being spotted and they often bust out of the bedding area.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Ethical or not?

Go ahead... I dare you... get out the popcorn and sit on the porch with your bow. Although, the popcorn might be considered baiting.[&:]
Old 10-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

haha a dare?

It just seems to me to take some of the sport out of it if I take a 30 second walk to my treestand out my front door.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why not?
Old 10-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

If it is legal why not. It does take away a bit of the quiet away time. I know for me my wife would be yelling out the window at me asking how much longer I was going to be because the had to run to the store. I accidently took my cell into the woods with me and I got that exact call.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:36 PM

If it will make you happy go for it........

I would try to get em a little bit in the woods anyway
Old 10-17-2006, 08:41 PM

It is not an ethical question. Clearly nothing unethical about it. Would it feel sporting? Would it feel like shooting fish in a barrel? It still wouldn't be a walk in the park, remember they know your yard like you know your bedroom. To slip the window open a crack and wait for a shot from in the lazyboy, now that is a different question. It would be unethical to shoot with the foot rest up.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Copper31

I know for me my wife would be yelling out the window at me asking how much longer I was going to be because the had to run to the store. I accidently took my cell into the woods with me and I got that exact call.
LOL I'm with you on that one. Last week in my treestand the cell phone rang. It was my wife asking me ifI'd see my sons blankie!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:48 PM

Shoot em. I live in a community where there is no hunting. There are pet deer all over the place. They destroy plants and bushes and people feed them. I'm worried about overpopulation and disease. I am seriously thinking about shooting a few doe each year to help cut down the herd. It's not challenging or sporting but it really needs to be done. If I do it I'll use the tags I have and probably donate a deer or two to Hunters for the Hungry. Do you think that would be ethical? I've seen a lot of posts here that would call it poaching but it is on my land just my community won't allow hunting. I should be able to hunt on my own property.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

Ethical? You have a license right? If you don't have to drive an hour, you get to save $ on gas,find a place to go everytime you hunt,and you have more time for your family, I'd say you have a great thing going. Just count your blessings and shoot the deer and post the pics on here...you won't have to drag the deer far to the grill either.My wife would love it if I had this set up. LOL

Quick Reply: Ethical or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.