Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer hunting and Tobacco >

Deer hunting and Tobacco

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer hunting and Tobacco

Old 10-17-2006, 07:24 AM

Default Deer hunting and Tobacco

Alright I want to find out what everybody thinks about smoking, chewing, or dipping while hunting. I think that everyone will say something completely different. I'll tell you what I think. I used to dip pretty regularly (I have since quit) and most of my friends do especially while hunting. I think that if a deer runs into the smell of tobacco and nothing happens then it just shrugs it off. But if it smells it and then associates it with human presence then you've got trouble. Any way I want to know what everyone thinks. Lets hear it.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Deer hunting and Tobacco

I just quit smoking butts after 20 years. This is my first deer season tobacco free. I have killed plenty of bucks and two awesome brutes. In all those years I had only 3 occasions where I saw deer bust me because of the smoke. I have countless times been smoking, seen a deer, put the butt out and taken the deer. Who knows how many I never saw though, even though I always pay attention to the wind.

This yearwithout tobaccoI have seen more deer and more bucks at this point in the season than I have in any previous season.The deer that have gotten really close/under me this year came in not as nervously as previous years. Coincedence? The jury is still out...
Old 10-17-2006, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree withkenma. I have killed plenty of deer but this year they are coming so close and I haven't got busted yet. I don't know if it is the fact that I quit smoking or not, but I've never had a deer fifteen feet from me before.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

i ran this post last year.

this is the first year i've actually chewed in the stand. So far it hasn't affected me in any way. I've been chewing for about 3 years so, being able to do it in the stand is kind of nice. Anyways, most of the results i found last year guys were saying chewing doesn't make a damn bit of difference. Most of my buddies have told me that if anything it'll mask your breath, i don't see how, but whatever. So far i've seen deer every time i've been out and i've always had a dip in, never noticed any affect.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:15 AM

Well I still have this nasty habbit smokin and I have shot deer right after putting a butt out .... but like Kenman said who knows how many I havent seen..
Old 10-17-2006, 08:17 AM

Its always funny when people say cigarette smoke doesn't spook deer. It won't unless the wind is blowing to the deer you are watching.

As far as dip. I've had countless deer mill around in my spit at the base of my tree, curious as to what it is, and never become alarmed.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not condoning the practice, but so far this season I've had an 8pt and a 6pt literally walk past me at 20 feet, not yrds. I smoke on stand but I wasn't at the time of these sightings. I let the 6pt walk and didn't have a good shot at the 8pt or he'd be dead.
I do believe it's the movementsassociated withsmoking and not so much the smoke itself that gets guys busted. IMHO

Old 10-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did some experimenting last season with cigarettes, smoke, and butts.

I purposely lit up while deer were present and purposely blew smoke (with the wind) in their general direction.
I don't believe I was scented - likely due to smoke rising.
I don't believe I was seen blowing smoke, although I agree that it is very possible.

(I say "I don't believe" because I did not witness a reaction although who knows what exactly the deer scented/saw, both those I saw and those I didn't.)

None of the deer appeared spooked until they came across a cigarette butt I left on the ground after putting the smoke out.

Every deer that came within 5 feet of the cigarette butt nearly turned inside out trying to get away from it!

So I say - If you have to smoke - do so sparingly and never throw your butts down. Just my opinion.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:10 AM

I think i left a message like this on a different post, but here it is again. My father and I both smoke while on stand. I think that deer only associate cig smoke with danger if they associate it with humans. Every deer I have ever shot, with a bow, has been 25 yards or less. I have also had numerous deer right under my stand that I have not shot. I don't seem to have a problem very often at all. In one situation I actually shot a deer with a cig in the left corner of my mouth and my kisser button in the right side of my mouth. I guess it is all in what the deer get used to.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:16 AM

HAHAHAHA I was waiting on someone to post something about shooting a deer with a cigarette in the corner of their mouth. Ive shot deer with a dip in countless times. Not since I quit though.

Quick Reply: Deer hunting and Tobacco

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.