Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer hunting and Tobacco >

Deer hunting and Tobacco

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer hunting and Tobacco

Old 10-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer hunting and Tobacco

the only time I chew is during deer season, otherwise I don't thru the rest of the year. Last week, I had 4 deer come in from down wind. I was pretty anal about scent control before hunting that evening, cause of the windy conditioins. anyway, had a chew in, and 2 came in and stood directly below me, sniffing the ground where I was spitting, another deer was 15 feet away, the 4th was about 20 yards away. I never was busted, they eventually walked off another direction, with tails a waggin. I guess if I was busted, then I might have to agree with the above post of educating a deer. But from that experience, I don't think they know what to make of it? just my $.02 Scott.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:15 PM

I've smoked menthol cigarettes and dipped wintergreen skoal for several years without spooking deer to my knowledge. In fact, most of my deer are seen shortly after I put a cigarrete out or after putting a fresh dip in. I keep butts in an almost empty waterbottle....and my spit goes straight down to the base of the tree. I've never had a deer walk up to it and sniff, but I've never had one run either.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:23 PM

I smoke, but never on the stand. Ill smoke on the drive up..and when im off the stand on a break back at my cabin. I just make sure to spray down before I return to my stand. I also dip while on the stand and neither have not seemed to bother anything.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:38 PM

ORIGINAL: jachunter

Its always funny when people say cigarette smoke doesn't spook deer. It won't unless the wind is blowing to the deer you are watching.

As far as dip. I've had countless deer mill around in my spit at the base of my tree, curious as to what it is, and never become alarmed.
I couldn't agree more. I've chewed Redman Golden blend for over a decade now while deer hunting and I have never seen a deer get spooked over my Redman. I have indeed seen them get close to the base of my tree and appear to enjoy the smell. Next year, I may give them another flavor ???
Old 10-18-2006, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a buddy that practices very tight scent control and smokes in his stand. I always rib him about it. He always gets a deer though.

Tom
Old 10-18-2006, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

I smoke in the stand, I've had bothgood luck and bad luck. I think it really depends on the wind and what direction the deer are coming from. Like everyone says.............. hunt the wind in your favor !!