Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

call shy?

Old 10-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default call shy?

So I was sitting in stand tonight and I was trying a few different things to see how the deer would react...... some light rattling and turing the can over and some grunting. I didn't have any response and rarely ever do. It got my mind thinking about turkey hunting. Turkeys...especially old gobblers, get call shy. Does anyone here think that deer do as well? I mena wehn you think about it, deer are so evolved that they can tell an intruder doe or buck by their scent, i wonder if they can tell by the tone of their call?
Old 10-16-2006, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: call shy?

Yep sounds like you might call too much and also w/ the wrong calls. I personally wouldn't use the can for another few weeks.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Or it could be what I've said since every Tom, Dick and Harry started making a call and every year coming up with a "NEW DISCOVERY" a "NEW SOUND".. like "clicking'', "Growling" yada yada yada. The call craze has gone crazy. You scare more deer than you attract. Scout, discover, decide a plan of attack, get in your stand and shut up for the most part. You'll see a lot more unalerted deer at point blank. A simple grunt or3 if a deer is passing out of range, or the gentle tickle of a rattle box if that doesn't work. Otherwise shut up.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use calls very sparringly, and only a couple of times I know of, it actually worked.