Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow hunting tips >

Bow hunting tips

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow hunting tips

Old 10-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Bow hunting tips

I have never been bow-hunting before and have only shot a few and thats been a atleast 10 yrs. Well, today I went and got myself a used Bear Whitetail Legend. I went ahead and replaced the sights with Tru-Glo sights, the old ones were worn out and the tru-Glo seems to be better for me as far as seeing them goes. The arrow rest is the fold down style and I replaced it with a new one mainly just incase the original was worn and had a new string and peep hole put on it. It seems to be set up pretty decent for now. If anyone could give me any pointers it would be appreciated. It doesn't matter if it is a proper way to hold the bow, arrows to use, changes I should make or whatever, anything would help me out. As I said, I am new to bow hunting but it is something I have always wanted to do and I believe I would be good at. Thanks for your time,
Brandon
Old 10-10-2006, 08:30 PM

Default RE: Bow hunting tips

hey my name is brandon
Old 10-10-2006, 08:31 PM

Well, you said you bought a new rest... I woulda suggested the Whisker Biscuit. I love it. I've tried other rests, nothing compares.

As for everything else, there are plenty of guys on here who will be able to help you better than I can... I am still a "baby" bowhuntress, only my 3rd year bowhunting.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

Where to begin. Patiance, practice, time effort, more practice and then more.. No what i would do is if there is a local pro shop near buy take you bow and arrows to him, make sure every thing it in time and your arrows are the correct length, weight and in good shooting condition. take a few shots with him and get him to look at your form and maybe make a few changes. get a tartget and start shhoting, start off small and work on having good form. there is no point in setting up 5 killer satnds in prime spots for 30yrd shot and you only have a 220 yrd max, shoot to your abilitys. bow hunting is more about time in the woods and getting close to them, not numbers
Old 10-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks everyone, keep them coming. Also, where do you all set your sights at? I am talking how many yards on each sight. I have 3 pins on my sights but now sure where a good starting point is for each. Like mbhutton said "shoot to your abilities" but just need a starting point. Maybe start at 20 yds and then 35 and 50 maybe? I don't know the average range for a bow so I am not sure. Also, do I set my top sight for the shorter distance and bottom for furthest? Sorry if this all sounds dumb to you all. Thanks again.
Brandon
Old 10-10-2006, 08:48 PM

I think here is what you should do.......First, become rich, because bowhunting is more expensive and addicting than cocaine (not that I know anything about that).....Second, anull your marriage, because your wife will throw you out on your ear after about the 5th time you take her to Bass Pro or Cabela's....Third,what mbhutton said, visit the pro shop, get some pointers and tips, form is your first most important goal, as this is what your entire sucess of bowhunting will be built upon. If you can't shoot right, you'll never take a deer.........unless you cheat and use grenades.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

So I can't duct tape a grenade to the tip of the arrow? What was I thinking! With my work schedule its hard to get to go somewhere like that to get professional help getting started. That is mainly why I am asking on here. I do have a few friends/co-workers who are occasional bow hunters thatI will practice with. As for my girlfriend, luckily she LOVES Cabelas and Bass Pro shops! Once there we will wander for a while and then each take a kid and go our seperate ways. She actually helped talk me into getting it as I am kinda cheap when it comes to buying things I know I will be spending lots of money on.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:13 AM

Hi Brandon. Welcome to bowhunting! You'll find this way more fun - and challenging, and addictive, and infuriating, and . . .

Are you in this on your own, or do you have anybody showing you the ropes? I recommend learning how to do things right first, rather than having to spend a bunch of time later "unlearning" a bunch of bad habits. [:@] (Not that I ever did that!)

[ul][*]First, you need to become competent with your equipment. You need to become consistent and know the limitations of both you and your gear.[*]Second, you need to find/gain access to some huntable land.[*]Third, you need to learn the various hunting techniques to effectively hunt with a bow.[*]Fourth, you may need to take a bowhunter safety course in order to get a tag.[*]Fifth, you need to have a plan for success. Do you know how to field dress a deer? Is there a processor nearby?[*]Finally, HAVE FUN! Take pictures, not just of your trophy, but of that squirrel that chewed you out for invading his tree! Appreciate the time you have out in nature. [/ul]
I recommend looking at instructional videos on archery and bowhunting. Some titles may be available at your library or you can rent or buy them at HuntFlix. Take a look at the "Getting Started in Hunting" section to get an idea of what is out there. We have several titles there of particular interest to beginning bowhunters. We also have a very well-stocked "Bowhunting" section as well as an "Archery" section.I would recommend looking at John Eberhart's Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails series. It is a very detailed, 3 volumeinstructional series that will make an excellent foundation to build on. I reviewed Volume One here.

Okay, pimpin' done. Good hunting!

-- FLIX
Old 10-11-2006, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

i would probably set site your pins in at 10 ,20, and 30 yds and keep practicing, also before you go hunting make sure you shoot your hunting tips, sometimes they can shoot a lot different than your practice tips...
good luck...
Old 10-11-2006, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since your new at this I would consider getting your bow checked out by a pro and make sure it fits you. Then I would practice for a season and plan on hunting next year. Bow hunting is tough stuff and you want to make sure you're capabale of good accuracy on a non-living target first. Also going out and shooting a good group on one day doesn't say a whole lot for how you'll shoot the next. It takes time and practice.

Tom

Quick Reply: Bow hunting tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.