Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Control and Concealment. >

Scent Control and Concealment.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Control and Concealment.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Scent Control and Concealment.

Interesting.........very interesting.

I'll preface my following comments by stating that I've already put in place the steps to purchase some of this camo. I want EVERY advantage available when I step into the whitetail woods. I think this pattern will work extremely well when the leaves are off our trees.

Rob...like you...I'm METICULOUS RE: scent control. I never go to stand without showering (same products you utilize).....I spray down.....try not to sweat...etc.../etc.../etc...

I posted the story when I shot my buck, last Saturday. I had TWENTY-PLUS deer inside 30 yds....DIRECTLY down wind of me........

I'm no matheme........well.....I'm not real good with numbers......but that's a LOT of ears, eyes and noses to bust your friendly neighborhood tree hanger. I had my release on my bowstring....and my boy stared a hole through me at 20 yds......for 40 seconds or more. Nice game of stare down....that's hard to play with you leg shaking uncontrollably.

I too wonder why ANYONE would not want to tke EVERY advantage they could to help in our quest to get close....close...closer to these magnificent animals. I'll say my control of my SCENT was my number one ally, last Saturday. No. 02 was the fact that the area had received NO PRESSURE for over a year or more. No. 03 would be me remaining motionless. No. 04 would be the fact that they came from DIRECTLY behind me.....and probably didn't see even the slightest of movements I'd surely made prior to their arrival. That many deer don't walk up, every day.......and for a reason. No. 05 would be my camo pattern (In my admittedly new state of being a bowhunter's opinion). I had on at LEAST (counting everything) SIX different patterns.

Doesn't mean I don't think this stuff works......this was just ONE experience of mine.

Jeff

Old 10-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why is everyone so impressed with having deer downwind of them?? With basic scent precautions I have had deer up, down, sideways, and under me with the wind blowing in every direction. It's kind of a silly notion anyways because if you sit in your stand all day you will notice how many times the wind shifts or swirls throughout a hunt..........anyone who thinks the wind is a linear device is bonkers.
I do not believe a deer ever gets downwind from you Atlas, unless it has an arrow stuck or blown threw it!!! You have to let one walk by you for that to happen, LOL We all know you shoot everything!!

Good post rob, I had little 7 point in front of me 47 mins Friday night, he looked up a couple times(I had a squirrel in my tree also) and eye balled me. I wear realtree, and have had great success, but I may try an open pattern. I wish ScentLok would make a suit with an open pattern.

The buck finally walked away, he looked dazed and confused!!
Old 10-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Considering the sensory organ that we're up against you're pissing away perfectly good money on all of that crap , the best you can hope for is that they think you're farther away than you really are , and that's probably just wishful thinking . Of the two I'd place camo and playing the wind miles ahead of any silly attempts to fool a whitetail's noise .
Old 10-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Atlas - you have a way of not only ruining threads but making most of us sick to our stomachs! [:'(]

Rob - great story and I couldn't agree with you more.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mauser06

your clothing cost more than my bow!! if i had the cash for good gear id definently have it. i know its worth it and can make or break a hunt.

good post rob. i know how many deer i dont see or bust me... they keep making a loud SHWOOOO noise..i think thats a deer?? i dont know i never seen a deer before...maybe one day. ill never kill a deer with a BDU jacket on and NON matching camo pants of a various pattern of whatever pair i pick that day lol.
Mauser..I feel ya brotha..but don't feel your just limited to the high dollar camo. There are others who make very good openpatterns for those of us that can't throw a car-payment at hunting clothes. Check out Gods Country Camo http://www.godscountrycamouflage.com/

Works for me.. from head to toe for less than a pair of pants from some of the other guys. Plus the service and delivery is top notch.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pretty crappy statement coming from you Rob.........quite frankly I am VERY surprised to see it. I'll wait and give you a chance to clarify before I comment on it because I don't think it means what it reads like.......at least I hope not.
Your right, You(atlasman) could read into that too much, in that statement (you) was a generalization to anyone reading the thread, in the place of you, I've often used, "one" "someone" "anyone" so that a person doesn't think they are being singled out such as in this case. I especially can see it taken in the wrong context when followed by the quote from Motown.

This is how it should have read.

Anyone can kill button bucks and spikes and if that's all someone is after, ignore my entire thread. A person doesn't need anything in here to do so.

I hope that clearifies that.

As for the rest, we can dance with this all day, all season. I'll leave it for what it is, a suggestion.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Considering the sensory organ that we're up against you're pissing away perfectly good money on all of that crap , the best you can hope for is that they think you're farther away than you really are , and that's probably just wishful thinking . Of the two I'd place camo and playing the wind miles ahead of any silly attempts to fool a whitetail's noise .
How do I "play" the wind, is it a game, do I need an instrument?

I will never understand the above statement.
Sunday Morning the wind was swirling like mad. I felt it out north, south, east, and west. It would blow out of the south for about 15 min, and then switch again. Like you I try tohunt with the wind in my face, but wind is unpredictable. Until they develop a transporter so I can beam myself to another location, I will continue to use and buy products I DEEM as useful

Old 10-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really liked your experiment but I believe your scent was partially masked not by your carbon suit but by your scent control rituals. I follow those same rituals and like you have never been winded. I've spooked them with sound but never have been scented. That I know of.

For those of you that think Atlasman ruins posts. I disagree. He is attempting to make you guys back your statements with fact. Generalizations and association are not scientifice proof. Anyone who thinks they can attribute success to one thing or product is out of their minds.

Tom
Old 10-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Its all about wind. Dont matter how much you try to kill your sent, if the wind is wrong, you will get busted. Got to remember thermals. You can have deer right infront of you and under you with the wind at your back, if you have a thermal up draft, your scent is being carried over the deer, but it is still landing further down the line. You can not kill human odder, you can reduce it, but not to the point a deer can detect it.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Dominant Buck

I've spooked them with sound but never have been scented. That I know of.
Stat.......I'll sign on to the list that this statement describes. ESPECIALLY that last part.....lol.

Quick Reply: Scent Control and Concealment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.