Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snap!!!

Old 10-07-2006, 06:46 AM

Default Snap!!!

Well, I sure did mess up. I had my bow hanging in my room on the wall from a metal screw. It was hanging by the string at the top. (if you know what I mean, I should have hung it by the cam) Well, when I went to pull back my bow after taking it off the wall (it was hanging there for a few days) the bow snapped and came apart, This sucks becauseI was going to go hunting today, but I guess I can still go squirrel hunting with my shotgun- it is the Youth hunt day here in PA. But anyways, the fibreglass part didn't snap in half or anything, the bolts just came loose and the string came off the cam somewhere and the bow doesn't have tension anymore if you know what I'mtalking about. It's hard to describe. I showed it to my dad and he said it could be fixed, I really hope it can.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:49 AM

Default RE: Snap!!!

[&:]Sounds like a bow defect to me...dont think it has anything to do with the way it was hanging.
That really sucks...hope you can work out a new bow sooner rather than later. How about telling us what kind of bow it was, etc, etc.
We need details before we can be sympathetic.
Enjoy the squirrelies.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:38 AM

My dad said that by hanging it on the nail by the string, it got crooked and thats why everything came apart. But if I need to get a new bow, does anyone have any suggestions? My bow was a Browning Micro Adrenaline.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

well what kinda price range and draw weigth range do you want?

Old 10-07-2006, 09:05 AM

Price does not matter, but draw weight would be somewhere around #40 pounds and able to go higher.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:53 AM

Well if you are thinking of getting a new bow, I just got he new Fred Bear Instinct. I love it and shot a lot with 2 guys that have Mathews Switchbacks, and beleive it or not, but my groups at 20 30 and 40 are no different than theirs. I also think that mine is a bit quieter than theirs as well.

Bow is about 400 and with some accessories you are in the 550 range--heck of a bow for the price!!

Good luck
Old 10-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

alright, by reading your description, it sounds like you had the bow poundage turned down quite a bit.Tighten the limb bolts up a bit. That model browning doesnt have pivoting limb pockets, so when the tension came off the strings, the limbs likely came out and the bolts werent tight at all. Give them another turn or two, and put them limbs back in there. You'll need to take the bow to a shop unless you have a bowpress to get the string and cables back on there. After that, let dad pull it back 15 times or so and listen for any creaking, cracking, or scraping noises. The shop will also give it a look over. You'll need to retune for broadheads.

This is all speculation based on what you've described, but a picture of the bow after it came apart, would be worth about 10,000 words.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:09 PM

I agree with Josh. Sounds like the bolts just came out of the riser. I wouldn't hang a bow up like you did on a screw though. That screw could mess up a string. Need something nice and smooth to hang it on. Or lay it flat on the floor, like under your bed.