Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First Evening in Stand >

First Evening in Stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Evening in Stand

Old 10-06-2006, 07:27 AM
Spike

Default First Evening in Stand

Below is a copy of an email sent to a hunting/fishing/college buddy I sent after last nights trip to my tree stand.[/align][/align][/align]Was in the woods again last night(Second trip since opening day last Saturday, Saturday was ugly T-storms and warm)in my tree stand, from the way it started I thought it was going to be a short night / season.[/align][/align]Just before 6pm I was daydreaming, listening for movement and was startled back to reality by a loud snap of a twig right in front of my stand. I look up to see a set of antlers sticking through the thicket in front of me at 25 yards. I about &*%&#*myself, I'm thinking my first deer and it's gonna be a shooter buck. I am suddely at peak awareness and fighting by knees from knocking or giving out as I stand.[/align][/align]Where the buck came through the thicket was directly behind the only tree in my shooting area that is still in full leaf cover. He proceeds to take 4-5 steps out but remaining under the canopy of this one little tree. I see that he has 4 points on his left and looks slightly smaller on the right, so I would guess he was a 7 point maybe an 8.[/align][/align]At this point he stops upon hearing something movenorth of us in the woods. He was very nervous and stood completely still other than his ears. All I could see at this point was his feet and 1/2 his head/shoulder through a hole in the leaves. I'm saying to myself talk two steps, over and over.[/align][/align]At this point a nut of somesort fell out of a tree 20 yards or so behind me and he turned and ran east away from me. I never drew my bow.[/align][/align]5-10 mins later I see what was making the noise north of me. A slightly under average sized doe come out into a perfect shooting lane. [/align][/align]This year I invested in two can calls, one is a young doe and I give it a shot and I drove her crazy looking for this other doe that she was hearing. She spent 1/2 hour within 30 yards of me and then ran off.[/align][/align]1/2 hour later she, I think, was back looking for that doe again spending 15 mins in my sights. Crossing the water to my right this time looking for who she was calling to.[/align][/align]1/2 hour later I had another small doe come in under me responding to my calling.[/align][/align]All in all it was a great night in the woods, just wish that buck could of taken those two steps.[/align][/align]Keith[/align]
Old 10-06-2006, 08:13 AM
Spike

Default RE: First Evening in Stand

For got to add that I almost got a 6 pointer with my Chevy on the way home. Didn't make the anti locks activate but I was breaking pretty hard.

Watching a set of eyes at the edge of a field, slowing down to see what it was when the deer she was following jumped up out of the ditch onto the road in front of me.

Grabbed my spot light and saw them both running across the field.