Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scent help...

Old 10-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default scent help...

ok guys. yesterday i got winded by a deer about 100yds away. granted the wind was blowing straight to him and blowing hard i figured i better hone my scent management practices. i found a scrape and am pretty convinced it was a mature buck checking his scrape. it wasnt no dumb deer. came in DEAD down wind of his scrape..and through the wide open woods so he could look too. i didnt find the scrape till after the hunt or i would set up diffrently[:@]

sooo on the way home i bought some White Lighting by scent shield i think it is. accidently got gas on my hands when pumping(pump didnt shut off and it started to overflow!!!) so i got in the truck stinkin like gas. "do not spray directly on skin" ya right when do i follow directions..sprayed it..bam gas was GONE. whoaaa.

i do alot of traveling back and forth from school and hunt RIGHT after work so my clothes get thrown around the truck and house and dorm room daily. figured i better work on them too. poured a bunch of baking soda in the washer..threw them all in and let it go on full blast super power clean..man they were FILTHY..they looked clean..dried them inside out and my coat is by the wood burner. sprayed down a lined bag with white lightning and am storing it all in there when traveling and in the truck while im working etc. maybe add some sassafras leaves since they are in most of my hunting spots...

my boots i scrubbed with saddle soap and then rinsed and scrubbed with baking soda. top to bottom. they are by the fire drying..then im going to oil them pretty hard(sick of wet feet) then im spraying everything with white lightning.

what do you guys think?? on the right track without spending 500$ on suits and baths etc etc?? i always hunt the wind..but what happens when they come in down wind? get busted and take it every time?? i know my method wont be fool proof. but hey its better then nothing right?? think itll help and also leave way less of a trail??

anyone use the white lightning?? like it? good? bad?? thanx guys..just looking for a little edge and confidence...

Old 10-06-2006, 05:56 AM

Default RE: scent help...

i used it last year couldnt tell if it worked i got a plastic tub from wal mart to hold my hunting stuff and the scent away kit washed all my stuff in scent away used the fresh earth dryer sheets and packed em in my tub i baught the new military chem suit off ebay its lighter than the old ones cost less than 40 bucks with shiping my shirt dont even stink when i sweat in that thing i do wear rubber boots got em from basspro for 36 bucks 1000 grams of thinsalate i spray down every time i head out imnot sure you can get totaly scent free but if it gets em a few yards closer that might mean i get a shot
Old 10-06-2006, 06:05 AM

Default RE: scent help...

I'd say your on the right track .. But putting your clothed in your car/truck what ever you need to store them in something I also use a cheap container everything I wear goes in there Never on the seat or trunk .. you know what I mean I have'nt used Whit lighting I use Dead Down Wind .. but really as long as you use a sent away spray no matter the name it's all the same .. PS maybe putting some rubber gloves on before pumping gas is a good choise sounds stupid and a pain in the rear but .. it sure beats smellin like fuel. Just a thought