Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Has anyone ever............. >

Has anyone ever.............

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Has anyone ever.............

Old 10-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Has anyone ever.............

Has anyone ever tied a drag rag drenched in doe in heat urine and walked a big circle around the perimeter of there treestand? I am talking about a circle that starts about 75yds from the base of your tree. then, when you reach the point that you started just walk a stright line to your treestand. Nomatter wich direction a buck picks up that trail,it always brings him right to your tree with his nose to the ground. I have had so much fun with this little tactic,it really does work.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Has anyone ever.............

Try doing that making a figure eight instead of a circle with your stand at the intersection of the 8. I think you'll find that works even better.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I question it, couldn't the buck theoretically just run circles out of range plus, why would you want the buck to circle you perhaps down wind?

My experience with drag rags is that a buck can and sometimes does trail it the wrong direction. Look at it this way. If you drench a rag, where is the strongest point, it's at the begining and the scent dwindles as you walk to your stand so theoretically the buck could track the trail from you to the starting point.....

I've had little success with it and find scentless is better IMO
Old 10-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I question it, couldn't the buck theoretically just run circles out of range plus, why would you want the buck to circle you perhaps down wind?

My experience with drag rags is that a buck can and sometimes does trail it the wrong direction. Look at it this way. If you drench a rag, where is the strongest point, it's at the begining and the scent dwindles as you walk to your stand so theoretically the buck could track the trail from you to the starting point.....

I've had little success with it and find scentless is better IMO
That is the most logical postI have ever read!!! You nailed that one Rob, you should right a book!!

It all depends on your buck to doe ratio also, if the big boy had 5 hens in his house already, why go looking for another one!!
Old 10-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

Rob, what you are saying theoretically does make sense, and it is something that I never even gave thought to. But I have had a lot of bucks come right to the tree, or within bow range and I wondered if I would have even seen them in the first place. I really like the idea of the figure 8 even more, gonna have to give that one a try.(or) I will just pour the whole bottle in my mouth and just spit a few drops every few feet.maybe that will keep the trail strong. lol
Old 10-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TreeDreamer

Has anyone ever tied a drag rag drenched in doe in heat urine and walked a big circle around the perimeter of there treestand? I am talking about a circle that starts about 75yds from the base of your tree. then, when you reach the point that you started just walk a stright line to your treestand. Nomatter wich direction a buck picks up that trail,it always brings him right to your tree with his nose to the ground. I have had so much fun with this little tactic,it really does work.
yes i do this, but i never had a buck come to my tree stand so i dont know if it works yet ;(
Old 10-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

What I do is when I'm walking into my stand,I'll drip a few drops of scent down every 5-10' thenlay scent down in a "J" pattern around my stand.The reason I don't use a drag is because doe's don't continuosly lay down a solid scent line.I think a few drops here and thre is just more natural--plus it works for me more times than not.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:33 AM
Fork Horn

I've tried a few different brand of scents and have never had a buck respond to them.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:45 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ghemry

It all depends on your buck to doe ratio also, if the big boy had 5 hens in his house already, why go looking for another one!!
It probably thinks like most men, 5 is good, but 6 is better.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:04 AM
Dominant Buck

I have very little faith in magic potions and lures. I especially avoid making stink all over the place. And like Rob, I sure wouldn't want him to lead him down wind of my stand after I've taken such pains to put myself down wind of him. To me, hunting is better when I plan and figure and not when I rely on some gimmick or gadget to try and outsmart an old buck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.