Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Worst then not recovering a deer? >

Worst then not recovering a deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Worst then not recovering a deer?

Old 09-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Worst then not recovering a deer?

Guys and Gals,

I'm on record saying everything from make a good shot, to track until you can track no more and if you don't find the animal it never goes to waste.

One, make a good shot! It's so much less work if it's dead where or near where you shot it. Two, you took the shot go find your deer. Three, it never goes to waste because the rest of the food chain relies on what you miss.

Why am I posting this? Worst thing to not recovering a deer is my dam dog bringing it back piece by piece. The other day my neighbor went out riding her horse and took my dog along with her 3 dogs. Well, somewhere along the return my dog seperated from her which was very rare. She figured he went along ahead. When she got home, one of her dogs was missing. Turned up 50 yrds from the house hiding with a leg. I caught my dog coming across the driveway on his way to his kennel with a pitch fork four point head. It was nasty. I knew better then to feed him that night because he would throw it up anyway.

Now I have to hear it from the wife, how bad the garbage stinks. It could have been worst with my old dog who did come in the house. This on sleeps 24/7 outside. I don't care now if he rolls in it (which they love to do). He just won't get petted until I get around to hose him down. I beg you all please kill your deer and recover right away. I don't think I could stand bagging another nasty deer part this year.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Worst then not recovering a deer?

Fieldmouse, of course you have to consider that particular deer could have been roadkill. Not every dead deer in the woods is the result of an errant arrow or a lead throwing rifleman.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

That being said, I know what you saying, yuck and dogs should know better..lol, bad doggy.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:57 PM

My good friend's dog was bringing back parts from a cow for about a month... GROSS [:'(]

Tim
Old 09-26-2006, 08:39 PM

My Golden brought backa deer skull a couple weeks ago. He was from last year. It was all cleaned up and everything.

One time she carried home a brand new baseball glove. The neighbors said it wasn't theirs so I had a new glove. Good doggie.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Thats too funny. If you could let me know how to teach my lab to get a beer, I have $100 for you.

Rob, I would think it could be a road kill but it was a ways away from the road. I just know I don't want to deal with another stinking body part!
Old 09-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Fork Horn

one tiem my brothers lab mix brought back a still in the wrapper butterball turkey (15lbs) someone put it out to thaw in the mild temps near thanksgiving. i still cant believe he carried the thing.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Boys will be boys went they get out for a bit. Now go bury that trash. On 2nd thought don't, the dog will proably dig it up.