Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Sad finding today >

Sad finding today

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sad finding today

Old 09-26-2006, 09:33 PM

Default Sad finding today

I was doing some scouting today, and was traveling a fence trying to find where a buck is jumping the fence,, but when I got to where I had thought he was crossing, I found a fawn dead hanging in the fence, she had jumped the fence and her hind legs went between the top and second strands of wire, and hung her by the hind legs about the waist area. It looked like she had been dead for maybe a day or two, but I really hate to think how long she was caught before she died, too bad no one saw her or heard her before it was too late. I had checked my camera where I was getting pics of a huge buck I had posted, and was wondering why I hadent gotten any pics of him on about 4 or 5 days, I giess this is why, I think she was crossing in the same place as the buck. It is sad to think she dies needlessly, but I guess life for wild animals is cruel sometimes.. I had heard of deer getting caught exactly like this, but this was the first time Ive seen it, I should have taken pics, but I just wanted to get her out and moved. Hope everyone is having a good season.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sad finding today

That's too bad.We want to give them all a better chance. Similar to the post a few days ago about the buck that was stuck in the mud.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

Sad in deed, It's to bad there are people out there who think we are sportsman that dont care about the animal we persue. You prove that you care about the whitetails beyond the harvest. Thanks...I happened to have a discussion today on the subject thanks for proving my point.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:10 PM

i saw this happen to a button head last year. i was on the fourwheeler riding a firebreak when i jumped a few deer, they all made it across the old fence but the last deer (the button head) had his left rear hoof go through the fence and as he flew over it it twisted his hoof into it. it was the craziest thing id ever seen.....i was standing not even 5 yards from a healthy LIVE deer that is FREAKING out! he was making all kinds of noise that i didnt know deer could make. i decided to go back to the house with some cutters and just snip the fence and let him go but when i cranked up he went crazy and jerked his hoof out. i noticed as he ran off that a long strip of hair had been ripped off his back with the meat showing. i figured it would get infected and he'd die but i got a trail cam pic of him this year!!!! sorry to hear about the fawn, your post reminded me of the spike.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:15 PM

im with u guys on this, its sad but things happen
Old 09-27-2006, 05:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I notice one or more particualr areas where the deer are crossing a fence frequently, I like to cut the top strand of barbed wire. Of course I can do this, its my fence. This way the smaller deer dont have to struggle so much to get over a 4-5 foot fence. I rescued a yarling a few years back along a gravel road just down from where my hunting property is. I had to cut the fence to save the deers life. I told the owner of the fence what had happend and told him I would be more than happy to bring my stretcher and splice the fence back together. The next day the fence was fixed and the deer survived. The scarry thing is, was she never put up a fight, she knew we were there to help her.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:28 AM

This happened around here last year. My mom was going to work and she passed by this cemetary that has a barbed wire fence on one side. There was a decent buck stuck in it. He was right on the edge of the road too, so all the cars going by made him panic even more. My mom stopped and talked to another bystander who said they had called the fire/police to come rescue him.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:49 AM

The " circle of Life " is not always nice ,beautiful, or fair. But situations like that are a " fact " of life in the wild. Yes, it is " mans " fault, because we put up the fences, but sometimes you have to do things and hope for the best, because we have to have fences, and they will never go away.