Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stepping on your toes >

Stepping on your toes

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stepping on your toes

Old 09-26-2006, 01:05 PM

Default Stepping on your toes

From what I have read this is a great Forum.
I am an inexperianced hunter & I need some Opinions
This will be my first year bow hunting & 4th with a Shotgun. In Southeastern Michigan where I hunt the hunters are almost as dense as the deer population. I read about a lot go great techniqes for stalk hunting & ground hunting yet I always get a little nervous when trying to do it. I have had times where I pick out a great spot & have found an Ideal place to stalk hunt out of my blind area. But it seems every time I get a chance to do this I run into another hunters kill Zone not to far from my own stand. I always feel incredibly embarassed & think I have stepped on someone elses toes & have ruined there day. Hunters What is your position on this? We are all hunting on private land & all have permission to cross most property lines of 4 conecting propertys.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:11 PM

Default RE: Stepping on your toes

I don't like when people are walking around where I hunt, so I don't do it to them. I'm not a fan of stalking though so I don't do it anyway :P
Old 09-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stalking hunting with a bow isn't impossible but it is really tough. I think it would be more likely that you'd ruin someone's day than you would get your deer.

I've read a couple of posts were folks were successful. Recently someone killed an elk this way.

Tom
Old 09-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

With this being your first year with a bow I would suggest just staying in 1 spot and getting a few deer under your belt. Once you do that I would either find a spot with less hunters or just sit. I know if I were to see someone walking around, I would not be pleased. Some people put a lot of time and effort in finding a stand location, to have someone walk by would really get to them. If you do find a spot with less hunters stalking or still hunting as we call it can be very rewarding expecially on windy ir rainy days.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:27 PM

All of these answeres really help. I dont want to upset anyone expecially the experianced guy out there wh has done more work to set up his stuff. I just wonder how many hunters get Ancy

[ul][*]So What happens when you get tired of sitting in the tree stand year after year. Does this happen to anyone else. I also have such a low body fat that when the tempuratures drop no matter how many clothes I have on i get really cold[/ul]
Old 09-26-2006, 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: CovertOps

All of these answeres really help. I dont want to upset anyone expecially the experianced guy out there wh has done more work to set up his stuff. I just wonder how many hunters get Ancy [ul][*]So What happens when you get tired of sitting in the tree stand year after year. Does this happen to anyone else. I also have such a low body fat that when the tempuratures drop no matter how many clothes I have on i get really cold
[/ul]

Hopefully, you can find a place that you will never get tired of sitting in a stand year after year. I've been hunting for about 14 years now and Im not tired of sitting in stands all day. Although, my father who is going to be 70 next year, he gets anci and wants to walk around. Unfortunatly, he isn't as stealthful as he used to be and ends up scaring more then he sees. I let him enjoy what he does though.

Also, I unfortunatly have the same low body fat problem as you and it is really really hard sometimes to stay out even though you are chilled to the bone.

Hopefully you'll find a hot spot and find some good action and keep your blood flowing year after year.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're in SE Michigan you're probably hunting near some standing corn. If you really want to stalk and not screw up somebody elses hunt, I'd suggest trying a "corn stalk".

This type of hunting can be a blast. Wait for a windy day so you can move through the corn without making too much noise. Walk row by row very slowly. Peek your head into the next row and look down the entire row both ways to try to spot a bedded deer. If you spot one, try to sneak up on it by going back a couple of rows and then moving toward it. You gotta play the wind. If you do it right you can sneak right up on them and they'll never know you're there. And the other hunters in the woods won't know you're there either. If you screw up, you'll actually help the other hunters out by kicking up the bedded deer. It's a win win.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:37 PM

Better wear some orange if you are going to go walking around with hunters you do not know in the woods.
I would use a tree stand.
You will be more effective and not bother the other hunters.