Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Prerut calling?

Old 09-25-2006, 11:54 AM

Default Prerut calling?

I was wondering how effective prerut calling and light rattling is in Early Oct where it can still be hot down here in the South. Is it worth dragging all of that stuff along?? Anybody got some opening weekend successstories for me??

Thnx

Clint
Old 09-25-2006, 03:59 PM

Default RE: Prerut calling?

Scratching head???
Old 09-25-2006, 04:29 PM

I haven't had any success with rattling. I experimented alot last season. I had some bucks come in due to an occasional grunt or two.

Just get out thereand try some things. I think you will be surprised. Just because somebody tells you that something will not work doesn't mean that it won't work for you.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

Soft grunting has worked for me from the first day to the last day. I even rattled, soft sparring to get a bucks attention then switched to the buck grunt to close the distance.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:24 AM

I've had curious doe come to my stand when I was rattling (actually just "tickling" the tines). But no bucks that early in the season. But like ducsauce says, you never know until you try it. I've tried some unconventional things that I've picked up on these forums and been quite surprised at the results!
Old 09-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken an arrow and tickled it back and forth between my bow limb and quiver, to simulate a little light sparring. It has worked many times to bring something in. Once I brought three bucks in to me and they started having a three way sparring session. One was a shooter 8 point but sadly it never presented a good shot, but it was very exciting. That happened on the first day of the season too. Remember to only do it lightly so early in the season, they are only playing around this time of year.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had some luck on opening day of 2005 with some doe pee and a primos bleet call.
I'd set the pee out the night before, and an 8 pt. was waiting on me in the wee hours of the morning. I spooked him and he ran off. After tying my pack and bow to the tree I let out a "bleet" hoping I'd grab his attention before he got too far away, and then started my ascend. I was only halfway up the tree before he came rushing back in. It's a little bit of a long story, but I got him.
However, I'm positive that it had a lot more to do with the awesome area I'd found than the bleet and the pee, but it sure didn't drive him out of there. I agree with the others, try it, it may work. It sure beats sitting there wondering whether you should or not all day!
Good luck!
Old 09-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh yea

Using a Tru Talker gunt tube very lightly and tickling the tines a little pays off big time in the early season.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:20 AM

I went and picked up one of those tru talkers last week, it is definatly a good product, cant wait to try it. I also have one of those rattle bags I will slip in my pocket and try it out.

Good luck everybody whos season opens this Sunday!!!!

Clint
Old 09-26-2006, 11:32 AM

In the area I hunt up here in Sask, Canada our bow season starts in September then muzzleloader Oct 2nd then rifle on novenber 14th we can bow hunt right through till it all close's in Dec, Anyway's calling doesn't seem to be effective until the last 2 weeks in Oct because the rut is hot and heavy around Nov 1st and they seem to get aggressive and on the prowl at this time. Last year we called in three different bucks from three different locations in one day with some rattling and grunting every 10-15 minutes and a few hits of the doe can.

Quick Reply: Prerut calling?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.