Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Having problems with my nock point >

Having problems with my nock point

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Having problems with my nock point

Old 09-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Spike

Default Having problems with my nock point

I'm having some problems getting my nock or anchorpoint to be consistent. It's odd, I've been hunting for 10+ years now and just started to have some problems. I haven't changed anything on the setup as this is the third year with this bow, peep, and release. I had been taught from day one to use the corner of my mouth as my anchor point and that fits well with my short draw length. But for some reason I'm finding that I'm drawing the bow back and having a problem finding my pin through my peep site.(note, this only seems to be an issue when hunting, not practicing)It seems to be because I'm naturally moving my nock point under my chin thus moving the peep sight "higher" to the point where I can't even see through the peep at that angle.

Outside of practice, practice, and more practice what else might help me? Is a kisser button an option? I've never used one before so I'm not familiar with them. What I'm trying to do is draw back several times right after getting in the stand and trying to drill my nock point into memory to help things out a bit.

If I was doing it in practice or had never killed deer before I'd worry it was just nerves or inherent bad form- and it still could be I guess. Right now it just seems like a total collapse of my fundamentals while on the stand.
Maybe I should listen to "self-help" bowhunting tapes while on the stand to keep my mind focused!

Old 09-25-2006, 01:30 PM

Default RE: Having problems with my nock point

I would suggest installing a kisser button, it'll definitely help with your problem.After using one for a season or two, you'll be able to take it off and have a good, consitant anchor.

I would also suggest you start using a three point anchoring system;

1. Release hand locked at the back of your jaw bone.
2. Kisser/string to the corner of your mouth.
3. String to the tip of your nose.

By employing that, if any one of those things is off, you'll notice it in your peep.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:18 PM

First look at your head position. If you're now tucking your chin a little that will have a little to do with trying to find your anchor.

If you find that lately you're using more of the heel of your hand in the grip that too will have an effect on how your eye lines up with the peep.

Most importantly, check to see if your string has stretched. If your draw feels a little longer, the string angle will be longer and basically your peep will be further from your eye causing you to anchor a little differently.

If you're shooting a two cam bow or a hybrid cam double check your buss cable. If it is longer, your draw will lengthen some as well. This would be an extreme and probably not likely, but something to look at.

If your string has stretched it could be several different things that come into play. Normally if a strand or two break on the string the most likely place would be under the serving and nocking point. This will definately cause major problems.

Lastly, and most generally, look to see if your serving has slipped on your string. See if there are any separations between the wraps of the serving. If so, have the string re-served. That'd be a good time to inspect your string under the serving as well.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Spike

Great information! . I am currently using 2 out of the 3 points in the anchoring system mentioned, I will add the string to the nose and practice with that.

Roger,
Thanks for the good technical information. Quite honestly I don't know how to check a lot of it myself but it gives me a reason to have the bow checked out to make sure it's not user error.

Thanks!