Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Opinions about upgrading bows... >

Opinions about upgrading bows...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Opinions about upgrading bows...

Old 09-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default Opinions about upgrading bows...

My dad has been using the same bow now for 15-20 years (Martin Lynx) with the same old aluminum arrows and a shooting tab. He always talks about upgrading and buying a newer bow but doesn't see the point in spending $400-$600 on a new bow. He's killed numerous deer with it from 10-40 yds. but always talks about how light and compact my PSE Firestorm is compared to his. Also he doesn't know which one tobuy if he forks out the money. I love my PSE butIhere a lot of good things about the Matthews Bows. Any suggestions on which bows to look into?And is it necessaryfor the decision to be that hard on which bow to buy?I mean thebowsthat companies have come out with thepast few years seem to all be the same, can they get any better?
Old 09-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Opinions about upgrading bows...

If it aint broke don't fix it. Unless you want to. Have him shoot as many bows as he can then decide.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:39 AM

Shoot 'em all and pick the one that feels best within your budget.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:47 AM

Also, be VERy wary of making equipment changes close to the season.
Take it from me, it can take MONTHS to get a bow properly tuned.
Maybe wait till after the season when people are off loading their bows and score one then?

Old 09-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry for off topic question, but..
How do you like your firestorm? I was thinking of buying one. The problem is I do not like using releases. Could you shoot your bow with two fingers? I have been shooting my 60lb bow for years with only two fingers, so it's no problem for me. My let-off is only 40% or something like that. Everyone in my family uses a release but I can't stand them. What do you think?
Old 09-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

I love my firestorm. It is a short, fast bow.I'm pulling about 65lbs w/75-80% let-off. And I have never shot it w/just two fingers, I use a release.I can't see where that would make much of a difference thought, as long as the hunteradapts tothe new bow.
My dadshoots using a tab and fingers too, and he won't change for nothin.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

thats your dads call. if hes ready he will goto a shop and shop for one.

my buddy shoots an older bow..i let him shoot my reflex highlander and he didnt like it. said it was too complicated, too fast(scarey fast he said..only 260fps?? lol) and too light and short and too hard to draw and hold back etc....hes just USED to his older bow. he said he wont shoot a deer passed his 15yd pin anyways...so i dont think he needs a new one..but i got him looking...he likes the idea but im concered with him not liking it because he wont give it time.

i think the only reason he is considering one is because he sees me splitting arrows my first year and he cant group very well or consistant at all passed his 15yds..you can tell he practices there TOO much. he told his cousin(my friend) that new bows are easy to shoot and thats why im shooting so good. i say BS..maybe 2000+ shots over 2 months is why i shoot so good.

good luck with your dad.....let him make the decisions...just because i lovvvvvvve my highlander doesnt mean its right for anyone else.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:11 PM

If your dadis taking deer with the bow he has, then obvoulsy there is no need to change. But if he is wanting a new bow, then there are specific traits he mightwantto look for that can narrow the choices. If he is looking forspeed, Bowtech makes some of the fastest bows out there. If he is looking fora quiet bow, Matthews is very quiet. Matthews also makes one of the smoothest drawing bows on the market. Bowtech has a shallow valley. PSE is somewhat a mix of it all. Diamond is a lot like the Bowtech. Other people can probably tell you the traits that make a Hoyt stand out. You can look at the specs of the bows to see where they fall on speed, size, and other traits such as that. Then take that info and narrow your choices to a few bows and then go shoot them. Shoot as many arrows through each as the shop will let you. You can't make an informed decision if you only shoot one or two arrows, and then make your decision. I have heard a lot of people say that todays bows are so much alike, that any brand will do, and to some extent that is true. But when you shoot them,ONE will stand out, feel better in your hand and shootbetter for you.

And as for the question about the PSE FireStorm Lite:

ORIGINAL: StealthHtr22

I love my firestorm. It is a short, fast bow.I'm pulling about 65lbs w/75-80% let-off. And I have never shot it w/just two fingers, I use a release.I can't see where that would make much of a difference thought, as long as the hunteradapts tothe new bow.
My dadshoots using a tab and fingers too, and he won't change for nothin.

I'm with StealthHtr22. I too have a FireStorm Lite. I have had this bow for three years, and I love it. I was shooting it at 72 lbs, with a release slinging arrows down range at 260 fps, but recently had to back it down to 55 lbs, due to my having had surgery. But even at 55 lbs. with a Whisker Biscuit rest, I am still managing 231 fps. I really like how compact the bow is when I am inmy stand. Being 30" AtA, makes it manuverable. Also, I went to a pro shop here and was looking to make it quieter, and the guy took me in the back and told me to shoot it. He and the other guys back there seemed to think I was crazy or something, because they didn't think it was loud to begin with.

Good luck in your search for a new bow.

Good Hunting

God Bless
Old 09-26-2006, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The reason I asked is because I've been told that the shorter ATA bows tend to pinch if you use fingers. Like I said, I drop the third finger and release with only two. I've got pretty tough hands and can take it. I just wonder if it will shoot well that way, with the pinch and all.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Fork Horn

i bought a diamond because when i shot all the others under 450$ nothing came close. this was last season so there might be better ones out now but id suggest taking a look at them i got mine for $350. i think its just stupid to pay more then about 450 even then what are you really getting. same goes for broadheads, fixed cost as much as or more then mechanicals now. my brothers and father killed more deer then i can think of with a 99$ bear bow from k-mart and cabelas cheap broadheads. the only reason everything is so expensive is people buy into it and get a new bow every couple years.

Quick Reply: Opinions about upgrading bows...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.