Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Gutshot deer, whats your opinion? UPDATED!! >

Gutshot deer, whats your opinion? UPDATED!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gutshot deer, whats your opinion? UPDATED!!

Old 09-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gutshot deer, whats your opinion? UPDATED!!

Hi all,

Well tonight I connected with one of the deer I have been chasing. A good 5x5. And for a reason I don't know I hit back from where I wanted. The deer bounded off 50 yards and was slowing down when he went out of sight.
I waited 30 minutes before getting down and retrieving my arrow quietly. No surprise the green slime on the shaft with zero blood. I stuck the arrow in the ground and backed out of there quiet. I did not push him at all and he never knew I was there.

I am embarrassed to a degree, but realize it happens if you hunt long enough. I have been fortunate to take a few good bucks and this is the first bad hit for me. So what I want is your opinion, will this buck certainly die? And if not pushed whats the average distance traveled when gut shot? If hes dead, I WILL FIND HIM. Any help or advice would be great. I am thinking of going tomorrow afternoon to look for him. I shot him at 6:40pm this evening.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gutshot deer, whats your opinion?

It does happen and I believe what you did was right. Going back tomorrow is a good idea as he will surely lay down and if he does not get pushed may dye by then. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

I agree that he will die and if not pushed will not go far. But it will take several hours.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1665984

Deer normally when fatally wounded and not pushed, will bed within 250 yards. You definately did the right thing by backing out and I wish you the best of luck.

It happened to me on my best buck in 01. Same thing, I saw the arrow hit to far back, I glassed him and verified the hit. I shot him a 7:30 in the morning, stayed in the stand until 11:00 and then snuck out. I returned late in the afternoon, roughly 8 hours or more later and found him not 50 yards from where I saw him enter the woods.

Again, good luck, I look forward to seeing the pictures.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

You did the right thing by backing out right away. I think he'll beddown within the first 150yds and die there unless pushed(hopefully not by coyotes). Gutshot deer also will head towards a water source to drink, so if you you're having trouble finding him check some local streams. Good luck, I wish i was there to help you look.

Zach

Old 09-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Happend to me once also, you definitly did the right thing. I saw mine lay down on a powerline 80yds from where i shot him and thats right where i found him the following morning. Good luck hope you find him.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

You'll find him. Usually a passthru shot like that will leave intestins out the far side. Go get him in the morning and keep us posted.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm certainly glad to hear you didn't chase him ,I'm sure he'll die ,and if you go back tomorrow you'll find him .

Good luck

nubo
Old 09-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

good luck finding him.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

I wondered if you had a liver shot, which will leave maroon blood, but you stated there wasany blood, you made the right choice. A liver shot deer will leave darker blood than a heart or lung shot but will always result in a fatality. They might run 200-300 yards but they will die usually in thier first bedding area as long as they are not pushed.

Quick Reply: Gutshot deer, whats your opinion? UPDATED!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.