Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Gutshot deer, whats your opinion? UPDATED!! >

Gutshot deer, whats your opinion? UPDATED!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gutshot deer, whats your opinion? UPDATED!!

Old 09-25-2006, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gutshot deer, whats your opinion?

hope you find him.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

You are doing the right thing... Let him go over night. He will definately die...
Hopefully you are dragging him as I write this! Good Luck. Keep us posted.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

Tribal- you did the right thing. Did you hve any luck finding him when you went back?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:15 AM

A friend gut shot a mature 7 point buck last fall. Think the deer ran about 40-60 yards. I can't remember the distance, but it wasn't far. The mechanical broadhead he was shooting tore that deer up! I gut shot a nice doe one time. It rained all the next morning and finally quit in the afternoon. Grandpa and I went in and just started walking the woods where she went to. We found her floating in a pond on the back of the woods. Hope you find your buck. Let us know and post pictures!
Old 09-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm hoping to hear from Tribal today with good news. Regardless, he did the right thing.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Unfortunately, you did the right thing and I bet you will find him. It's just too bad your not on my team again this year.

Can't wait to see the pics. Good luck!
Old 09-25-2006, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope he's found it by now
Old 09-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

He did do the right thing by backing off andgive the deer time to lay down without being pushed.
Tibal is one hunter that does not no the meaning of giving up.
He`ll look harder and search longer for that animal than most hunters will.
If that buckcan be found? Tribal will find him!
I just hope he can find him sooner rather than later.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well Guys,
Thanks for all the wishes and replies. Unfortunately this one has no happy ending. Put in 11 man hours in the woods today and no luck however, upon further examination of the arrow I noticed white hair in the broadhead. This leads me to believe the shot was back AND low! The shot could have been slightly deflected as I was aiming through a hole in the canopy of the trees. But I am not positive to anything that went wrong I just know something did. I found a smaller than a dime size blood drop about 40 yards from where I arrowed him at. Thats it! We looked everywhere, followed every trail and examined every leaf that was kicked up. Every downfall, walked along the only water source which is a lake and nothing. I know this particular woods well and I don't believe this animal id dead as I write this. I can't say for sure that he won't die but the hit appeared to be barely a hit. If he does die I WILL FIND HIM. Even if it's after the coyotes. I will look again tomorrow as I can't stand to think about it but, I can't manage to think of anything else.

It's a eye opener to just how important it is to pay attention to small details before and after the shot. I had played out this scenario in my mind exactly how it happened before the buck ever came to my sights. I have gotten use to releasing my arrow and the deer drops dead 40 yards away. Thanks again guys for the replies and helpful tips. I am really sorry for the outcome. I will tell you I did my best! Hopefully this never happens again, and here's to hoping the brute lives another day!

Old 09-25-2006, 07:26 PM

That stinks that it wasn't a happy ending. Hopefully he is alive and well and will give you another shot.

Quick Reply: Gutshot deer, whats your opinion? UPDATED!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.