Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting question. >

Shooting question.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting question.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default Shooting question.

Finally got a chance to blowthe dust off of the bow from last season and do some shooting last night.I can't believe how much you lose as far as form and confidence when you don't shoot in a while. Anyway, when youare setting up for the shot, do you normally try to align the sights on the target then just fine tune them and shoot.I was having a problem pulling back the bow then movingthe bow down to place the sights on the target. It seems that I'm taking too much time getting the sight lined up with the target that i'm getting too anxious and pulling the trigger. What is the best way to set up for the shot?I think I'm spending too much time holding the bow and adjusting that it's throwing off my shot.I'm sureI need my practice. Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:37 AM

Default RE: Shooting question.

Its hard to say just going by your explanation.

Sounds as though you are either taking WAY TOO long, or you have a form of target panic.

My shot sequence goes something like this.

Set bow hand, hook up release, set stance, pre-aim slightly above the spot, draw to anchor, place finger on trigger, concentrate on the spot, and thats it....the bow goes off as Im concentrating. From the start of aim to the bow going off for me is about 5-7 seconds. The whole sequence is probably like 14-16 seconds.

Hope that helps.
Thats not the only way you can do it, but thats similar to the way most successful shooters do it.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds as though you are either taking WAY TOO long, or you have a form of target panic.
That I would tend to agree with. I don't ever recall specifically aiming the pins directly at the target when drawing. They are in the general direction...within a few feet but I have never tried to put the pins on the target and then draw while holding the pins on the target through the draw cycle.

My suggestion? Relax, drop the draw weight 5 pounds for now and focus on your shot sequence. Don't worry about how fast you are shooting, or whether or not your arrows are hitting right where you want to on the target. You still have plenty of time before the season starts to get that form back up to par.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

In regards to concentrating on the spot, do you look at the pin and place it on the spot or do you look past the pin and concentrate more on the target.I understand the pin and target have to be lined up fora clean, straightshot, butisthe target more importantto concentrate on?
Old 08-10-2005, 02:08 PM

I concentrate on the target and the pins will be superimposed on top of it. They might be a little blurry but that is OK. If you look at the pins, you might see two targets. You want to be watching the deer anyway to see where it is moving and where's the best spot to release.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:44 PM

If you continue to have problems yanking the trigger, try this:

Stand 5 yards in front of the target, draw and line your bow up at the target, close your eyes and concentrate on squeezing the trigger ( do this only in a safe environment). Do this 5-10 times and then back up to a comfortable distance and shoot with your eyes open aiming at a point on the target. You may have to do this several days in a row, but it works by taking your mind off everything but squeezing the trigger. It worked for me when I had this problem. As for aiming, I start low and pull up to the spot. Others like to come down or from the side. Find what works and stick with it.

good luck