Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Survival Rate of a Shoulder shot? >

Survival Rate of a Shoulder shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Survival Rate of a Shoulder shot?

Old 09-23-2006, 09:37 PM

Default Survival Rate of a Shoulder shot?

Hi all I was just curious of the survival rate of a arrow shot that hits the shoulder and goes into the bone (not much penetration maybe 1")? I shot a deer a day ago and couldnt find it and it sounded like a solid bone shot and it looked like the arrow was only 1" in give or take. I never found my arrow.

Thanks for the help I was just curious.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Survival Rate of a Shoulder shot?

Its hard to say. If it went in 2 inches it could have caught some lung. Your arrow is laying on the forest floor somewhere. Keep a look out for crows and turkey buzzards. Better luck next time. Move that shot back about 6 inches.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

What was the reaction of the deer after the shot? Did the deer run away at full speed with no sign of being hit? Or did it have any noticable limp or inability to stand on the wounded leg?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:55 PM

I shot it in a field so it swung around and ran out to the middle of the field just standing there for about 5-10sec then it ran off into the woods. It seemed to be running fine.I just remember seein the arrow sticking out really far.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm no help here...but I will say that I shot my first bow deer in 1984...and the only one I've lost was hit RIGHT in the shoulder.

It could have been my tracking experience at the time...but I think it is a crappy shot. I was shooting 74 pounds of pull with bear razorheads at the time, and had NO blood after 50 yds.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:38 AM

Also remeber that Deer can live off one lung just as we can The deer is most likely sore but is fine It happened to me when I shot a doe last yr I was aiming for Heart but she was bending to eat and her shoulder got in way it was very load hit but my arrow only went in about an inch alot of good bright blood at first for about a 100 yrds then nothing we found my arrow next morning about 65 yrds aways like yours it was stuck in her for alittle bit I'm sure your arrow is around the area she ran , we searched the next day All day and found Nothing I hope to get a shot Finally shot on her this yr Good luck!
Old 09-24-2006, 07:32 AM

My dad shot a doe once during our rifle season,a month and a half after our bow season ended, and it had a broadhead lodged in its shoulder blade perfectly healed. The deer was not even limping before he shot it.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Even if you got 2" of penetration, the deer will be fine, sore for a while, but you didn't kill it! Your arrow is laying in the field some where. If you can find it, and verify the amount of penetration, then you will know for sure!