Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Black bears attacking? >

Black bears attacking?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Black bears attacking?

Old 09-22-2006, 11:51 AM

Default Black bears attacking?

Ok I just recently started hunting in South Arkansas, I am a La. boy and have never been around bears or even seen one in the wild. I dont know much about them but last year a guy hunting about 400-500 yards from my spot in the same bottoms had a few black bears on his digital deer cam. Needless to say it gives me something to think about while I am walking to my stand in the pitch black. From what I have read they are pretty harmless right and would rather run the other way from humans instead of attack. I also read if you are attacked the playing possum thing doesnt apply to them. Also do black bears do alot of roaming or do they have a home range they usually stay at? Most people I talked to said they are probably in the next county by now and were just passing through the area. They havnt seen bears in the area since the 70's. Course now with the miricale of the deer cam we can now monitor the woods 24/7!
Thnx guys/gals
Old 09-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Black bears attacking?

Back in PA we had a lot of bear. Just never gave it another thought. Now that I live in IL though we gotta worry about cougars. Unless your provoking them you won't have any bear problems. Hope you see one, they're cool to watch.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

They will run if they see you in the woods. Now if you get between a sow and her cubs, that would be a whole-nuther story. I've heard of probably 2-3 black bear attacks in the last couple years, tops. You are correct about the playing possum with a black bear, if you play dead you soon will be. Try to make yourself look big and be loud, they should scamper off.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:05 PM

Yeah kinda thought they were harmless, sure hope one comes by that would be the so cool.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

I see them quite frequently. Haven't seen a good boar to shoot yet this year, but I have seen a couple sows with cubs and they are a blast to watch. I can't believe how deathly silent a critter that big can be walking through the woods while a chipmunk sounds like a herd of cattle.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Black bears attack for one reason, and that is to kill. 90% of the time they will bluff charge but if they actually attack if you play dead, you will be. Grizzly attacks are generally the opposite, they attack to distinguish what they feel is a threat. Once that threat isover they will leave it alone.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

I always get a kick out of folks getting BEARONOID due to having a few bears around. For the most part, bears are more afraid of you than you are of them. It's the "hype" associated with them for the past 100 yrs that makes folks nervous. During my years guiding in Alaska, the first question a client had was,"what about the bears", and then they'd rant about stories they'd heard. Your more likely to be struck by lightning than a bear. BUT.......we always explained to clients....if you find yourself in that situation, if it's a griz, play dead. he's gonna hurt you bad, but you'll most likely live because they like to kill and then come back later and eat. If it's a black bear, fight for your life, he'll kill you everytime and eat right away. Taz
Old 09-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you see one, and he sees you, and does not run for the hills, raise your arms over your head and talk loud in a deep voice. Some people say to break sticks by stomping your feet and bark like a dog. Never walk toward or away, just stand your ground. Walking away may trigger a chase response and walking toward may make it feel cornered and threatened.
The likelihood you will need to use any of these tactics is probably the same as hitting powerball. No matter how big or small, they will usually almost kill themselves running away from you.
If it's bear season, of course, you stick 'em.
If your in 'jersey, you take a liberal, animal lovingtree hugger along, and feed him to the bear.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chances are not high but are there none the less. 2 people were attacked last yr and 1 was killed.
First one was a elderly gentleman out picking wild plums..... he didn't make it. The second incident a small b bear was attacking a mans dog( small dog) he went out w/out thinking and he and the dog narrowly escaped death. B/w them they had hundreds of stitches, who knows what kind of bacterial infections.
It happens ussually on yrs w/poor crops of berries and other wild foods. There is a 7'er about 1-2km away from my deer camp. I've woke up in the morning to find that b/w bears and wolves there are alot of tracks going through camp[X(]but we've never had a majorproblem.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:48 AM

Well they are probably gone now anyway in my neck of the woods. They are not that many around where I hunt so I doubt food compition is a major issue. Im going to put out deer cams this weekend I will definatly let yall know if I see any bears on them.

Quick Reply: Black bears attacking?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.