Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Selling Capes

Old 11-11-2002, 03:10 PM

Default Selling Capes

I pulled into Sonic for some lunch and the guy next to me had a nice 12 point on the back of his truck. I got out and inspected the deer and to here the story. It was easy for me to tell that he really didn't know much about bow hunting and I saw that he had shot the buck in the butt(I was surprised he found him). Anyway, he had taken and cut the bucks neck clean across. I informed him that he could not get the deer mounted using that cape. I gave him my number and I told him if I took a nice buck during rifle season I would sell him my cape. I have often sold my capes to taxidermists around my area and I have received up to $75 dollars for some of them. I was just wondering if many of you sell your capes off your big deer (if you don't mount him) or just throw them away?
Old 11-11-2002, 03:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Selling Capes

I only wish that I had that problem. Shooting big deer and not mounting them, I can't sell them when I don't get them!!

But my taxidermist is using a cape from another mule deer for my muly mount, so there must be enough out there for sale.

My Web Page
www.geocities.com/hfpmad

Old 11-11-2002, 04:40 PM

Default RE: Selling Capes

I don't shoot unless I'm going to mount the deer, I haven't shot a buck in about 3 years now. I guess I've lost my mind but I can't make myself shoot anything under 130. I guess that tells you how long its been since I've had an opportunity at one huh!!!! I shot my last buck with a gun in 1991, it grossed 181, so I haven't shot a buck with a gun since then. I'm dedicated to my bow only and 130 in my magical number.

Good Luck on your search

J. Shoot

Searching