Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 damn neighbors... >

damn neighbors...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

damn neighbors...

Old 09-20-2006, 06:32 AM
Spike

Default damn neighbors...

So last night, I'm sitting in my climber about 75 yards from a neighbors house. Its about 5:30pm, and all of the sudden, out comes the mom and her daughter (probably about 6 years old) and they start screaming at each other in the front yard. This goes on for about 15 minutes or so, and then the mom finally goes inside. The daughter is still out there finishing up her tantrum and the dog is barking like crazy. I figure I've had enough (and that any deer are long gone), so I climb down and seek out a tree deeper in the woods. I get about 50 yards or so from my stand, and find a good tree just off of a trail intersection overlooking a small valley. I walk about 10 feet past it to survey the area some, and up jumps a deer across the valley and takes off. It was heading down the trail I was sitting over!I couldn't tell if it was a buck or a doe, but I saw a big body and a white tail jumping up the hillside. So, I muttered some 4-letter words to myself and headed for my truck. If I'd have stayed put, I'd have had me a good chance. Oh well.....
Old 09-20-2006, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: damn neighbors...

I hunt the suburbs where there is a lot of human deer interaction. The deer are used to it, when things calm down they move again normally in their comfort zone. What they're not used to is seeing you in the woods at that time moving. Stay put, moving a little deeper in the woods would have made little difference.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt a lot of deerin the "hoods". I listen to a dad and son throwing catch, people cutting grass, etc. and as long as they are where the deer are used to hearing them, the deer don't really pay anyattention. The nice thing about it is, the deer are used to smelling humans constantly, so they might walk up to my in-trail and smell it but they pay very little attention to it. When I used to bait this one area, I actually had a doe follow me in, about 100 yards behind me. Try hunting near a highway, talk about noisy!!! Some of my properties are bordering highways and you can't ever hear a deer, but let one leaf russle and the deer know it.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

There has been so many cases where I got up out of my stand too early and spooked a deer. I have learned that to just stay there till the end, no matter what!
Old 09-20-2006, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live in a nice subburb and up until recently it was nice here. The crack head across the street sold his daughter to a Drug dealer who nicked her up right away. He lives under there roof and is constantly yelling at the girls mother and calling he names like you woulden't belive a real man would never call a woman. And the crack head just stands there while this is all going on (piece of sh@@) The cars comming and going is unbeliveable buying there drugs. I call the cops and they do 0 nothing. And none of the other neighbors do or say nothing. I guess its just me.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

I hunt a lot of deerin the "hoods". I listen to a dad and son throwing catch, people cutting grass, etc. and as long as they are where the deer are used to hearing them, the deer don't really pay anyattention. The nice thing about it is, the deer are used to smelling humans constantly, so they might walk up to my in-trail and smell it but they pay very little attention to it. When I used to bait this one area, I actually had a doe follow me in, about 100 yards behind me. Try hunting near a highway, talk about noisy!!! Some of my properties are bordering highways and you can't ever hear a deer, but let one leaf russle and the deer know it.
I hunt the same types of area. I agree that the day to day noise does not even bother the deer. But don't tink an arrow on the side of your stand. Cuz that's a different noise!
Old 09-20-2006, 07:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I dont have any one who lives near my hunting land, but I do have a idiot who has land next to me, that screws things up all the time. Every time im out bow hunting on his end of the land, he is out shooting guns all over the place. One day he and a bunch of friends are out shooting guns at each other. They set cans up on a ridges opposite of each other, at about 100 yards and took turns shooting at each others cans.When one was shooting, the others would duck behind the ridge.They enjoy shooting acrossmy land as well. Well no more. The local law and the gamewarden paied them a little visit the last time theywere doing it.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I hunt a VERY similar area. I pay attention to the deer when I hear a distant noise (like my dogs.....or my wife using the leaf blower on the deck.....or my neighbors shooting guns.....or lawn mowers, etc..., etc..., etc...).

They are SELDOM affected. VERY seldom.

I saw 11 deer, last night. I paid special attention to this, then. I'm convinced they're not bothered by such. They're used to it.

Jeff
Old 09-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

I've learned in that situation that it is best to just sit tight. I had a similar situation 2 seasons ago. my neighbor started shooting his muzzleloader. I didn't really have a backup plan, and I was twenty feet up. I just sat tight, then a friggin dog walks through...ugh, I just enjoyed the evening. then about a half hour before dark, a spike comes out and gives me so many shooting ops it wasn't funny. I passed, but it was funny because this is the same stand I was going to put my buddy who had never killed a deer in. He couldn't make it though. like the others said, the deer areuse to it.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

You can drive a tractor around in a field full of deer, as soon as your boot hits the ground though... gone.

Quick Reply: damn neighbors...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.