Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Oh no, not another tuning post... >

Oh no, not another tuning post...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Oh no, not another tuning post...

Old 09-18-2006, 08:08 PM
Spike

Default Oh no, not another tuning post...

I am still waiting for my Slick Tricks as are everyone else. I picked up a couple of cheaper packs of broadheads from e-bay--Magnus Snuffers and Eastman Titanium 4 blade (ST imitations) both 125gr. Anyway, I have been shooting well-groups less than 2 inches at 18-20 yds. [/align]My set up is as follows--29in draw, 65 or so lbs--Darton Avalanche (60-70) shooting release, Beman 340 ICS with 2in blazers at R helical)--I was using Gold Tip 5570 with the same set up, and was advised to get a stiffer arrow.[/align]I decided to test the broadheads. With the broadheads, I hit about 4-5 inches to the left once again (previous issue). I should let you know that I took the bow to the shop and had it retuned about 2 weeks ago. Using the Easton guide, I moved the rest toward the riser. Now both the Snuffers and the Eastmans were close, but the field tips were 4-5 inches to the left.[/align]Here is the question--If I do not receive the ST's in time for the start of the season (2 weeks from now) Should I just practice with the broadheads, and adjust the sights to fine tune the broadheads, or is there something I could do to get both to hit at the same area? Or should I give up and take up knitting?[/align][/align]Mike[/align]
Old 09-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Oh no, not another tuning post...

This late in the game I would just sight in for broadheads and practice with broadheads - assuming they are grouping fine. If your broadheads are not grouping, then you have to tune.

By the way, if you are looking for a broadhead that is very similar to slick tricks try the muzzy mx-4. They fly the same as my slick tricks and have very similar construction (the blades lock together inside the ferrule). The nice thing about muzzy mx-4's is you can buy them anywhere unlike slick tricks. The only problem is they don't come in 125 grain.

I've used those Eastman 4 blade 125's you have. I snapped the blades off just from shooting into my yellowjacket target. The blades are very thin and the way they connect to the ferrule is shoddy to say the least. If the Magnus fly okay I'd definitely use them over the Eastmans. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

If your broadheads were hitting to the left and then started hitting to the right after you moved your rest, it sounds like you overcorrected. Move the rest back away from the riser ever so slightly and try it again. If you got that much movement the first time you should be able to find the sweet spot.

I have been known to resight in for broadheads, but only when I was totally convinced that the broadheads were flying perfectly and grouping well at all ranges. Now I will tinker and tinker until they hit with my field points since then you KNOW you have a perfectly tuned bow.

Good luck! ...Shockwave
Old 09-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

its more important to have your bow paper tuned. Once you get your arrows flying good on paper your field points and broadheads will be close then re-sight and kill