Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting newbies, need advice >

Bowhunting newbies, need advice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting newbies, need advice

Old 09-17-2006, 08:41 PM

Default Bowhunting newbies, need advice

Hi guys,I figured we should ask the experts, meaning you about bows and hunting. My son andIare looking for advice on buying our first bows and we are true beginners to the sport, fishing is our only previous outdoor sport.
Iam 45 and he is almost 12.I stand 5ft.8 and he is 5ft.3 tall.I need to know just about everything. Should we go recurve, compound bow or long bow? Do we need to be sized for the bow? We would like,as most beginnersto spend as little money as possible to get started and see if we like the sport before we go and invest for real.I suppose the type of hunting or target practice we do will lead us to the correct bowto purchase. Please help if you can, or direct us to a site that hopefully has gobs of info to help us in our choices. Thanks a bunch in advance. Steve and Alecx
Old 09-17-2006, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting newbies, need advice

My dad started me out on a cheap compound when I was little. That is probably the same route I would suggest for you. But let me warn you, you will get addicted and it will cost you all your money and time in the long run, and there is no other feeling like it.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Ditto, it's cheaper then golf.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the best hunting site on the web.
My advice that I can pass on to you is go to your local archery shop , I'm not talking about Cabela's or Bass Pro no I'm talking about your local Mom & Pop shop down the road.
By going to your local shop you could save money and get some personel service and in most case's you could get a used bow for you and your son.
When buying a bow you should have it set - up for the way you shoot for example your bow gotta be adjusted to you.
The draw length and draw weight has to be adjusted to you once you have that done then your ready to go to the 3D range and practice , don't forget to ask about arrows your gonna need those.
Aluminum are cheaper than carbons.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dittos on RDHunter's post. The guys at the archery shop know the equipment and know how to get you started. I went to a sporting goods store looking around at bow equipment before I ever bought anything. The clerk.....an avid bowhunter.....got me aside and told me instead of buying the rig (Browning bow) I was looking at, I should go to the archery shop down the road and get set up. Best advice I've had so far. They can get you into "entry level" stuff fairly cheap and you can go from there.

The other advice I'd give you is what you've already done. The guys and gals on this forum have a world of experience and know-how and are usually eager to share. No question should go unanswered! Together with the archery shop, forum, and any bowhunting friends you have, you and your son can become proficient in a short time. BTW, kudos on getting your son into archery! Ray
Old 09-17-2006, 10:06 PM
Typical Buck

I think that I should throw in, go with a compound bow. Also try to find someone that can shot a bow that will go out with you and your son when you start practicing. They can help show you things that you are doing wrong and give you the best advice on the spot. Oh and practice, practice, practice.