Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New to bowhunting.....need advice >

New to bowhunting.....need advice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to bowhunting.....need advice

Old 05-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New to bowhunting.....need advice

I've been tuning up with field points and getting pretty good. But admittedly it's my backyard and not field conditions. I'll be hunting mule deer for the first time (with a bow) this next season. Excellent opportunity for a 20 yard shot where I'm hunting. How important is it to practice with fixed or mechanical broadheads prior to hunting? What should I expect as far as differences with field point shooting?
And....looking for recommendations on whether fixed blade or mechanical preferred.....
Old 05-10-2005, 08:01 PM

Default RE: New to bowhunting.....need advice

A little bit of extra practice is always a very good thing especially if it's with the setup you plan to hunt with. Yes there is going to be a bit of a change when you put your hunting points on. It won't (or shouldn't) put your whole bow out of tune but you may have to resight each and every pin. At 30 yards my point of impact does go down about 3 to 4 inches when I put on my hunting points. There is only one way to be sure and that's to go out and try it. Be carefull though, hunting points can't take the abuse a field point can absorb. It may be a good idea to get a hunting point with replaceable blades so you can practice a lot and put on some fresh blades for the actual hunt.
I like fixed blades since they penetrate better. I'll admit that expandables do fly better but I'm happy as long as I can hit a 4 inch circle at 40 yards and my fixed do that fine. I use Viper Venoms; they are deadly and fly pretty straight for a cut on contact fixed blade.

http://spintite.com/vipervenom.html
Old 05-10-2005, 08:02 PM

Spend the money dont go cheap on b heads. Get some thunder heads or some muzzys for about $30 for 6 of them make 2 your practice broad heads and shoot at verious yardages and tune you bow to them then take the other 4 broadheads and make them hunting arrows and dont use them untill you are going to shoot an animal keeps them sharp longer. Practice Practice Practice....... if you need help with anything else please dont hesitate to ask there are some awesome people on here
Old 05-10-2005, 10:29 PM

from what i have heard or read , yes there might be a change from field tip to broad head, i have been lucky in my set up my broad heads shoot just like my field tips, but not everyone is that lucky. i would suggest, like the other people have , practice with the broad heads , practice practice practice. and as for which kind of broads , dont know what your regs. are there , but you might wanna check with the local fish and game to make sure as to what you use, such as mech. broad heads are not allowed for big game here in idaho. i use muzzy 100's 3 blade, so far they have done an excellent job for me on everything i have shot.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:54 AM

I have used the Muzzy 3 blade and they fly almost the same as my field points. But since almost isn't exactly, I always want to make sure that I have the best setup possible. I would hate to get in the field and almost hit a deer--or even worse, almost hit the vitals.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:59 AM

If you're going to shoot a fixed blade head you DEFINATELY want to shoot them before hunting. Broadheads can and often do cause eratic flight. You may well find they shoot the same or you may find they consistently shoot low 5" and to the left 3-5". The truth of the matter is you won't know until you shot them and if you're going that far you might as well group tune with your broadheads. It's actually pretty easy. If you don't have to tuning guide then down load it and print it and it'll walk you through the process.

http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloa...ning_guide.zip

Don't be intimidated, it is not difficult it is simply a process.

Good luck and please, ejoy the "tinkering" that comes with bow hunting
If you shoot mechanicals you can often get away with less tuning because the heads are less likely to plane and more likely to fly like field points. Unfortunately I think some bow hunters use them as a crutch and instead of tuning they throw on mechanicals and are ready to go. The problem with that is a bow and arrow or either component that is out of tune will result in lost energy and that can casue poor penetration.

Bottom line IMO is just take the time to tune the set up you plan to hunt with. The best part is if you have troubles with the process you can post here and someone will be able to help you through it.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:18 AM

For the most part, I only practice with broadheads. The great thing about Muzzys is you can buy plenty of practice blades inexpensively. I'm lucky enough that my field points and broadheads group pretty close to the same, but I just prefer to practice with what I'm going to be hunting with. Of course, you may need a different target if you're going to change from your field tips to broadheads.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:46 AM

Something to try is take those field points into the field and shoot at stumps, ant hills, etc.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would recommend practicing with the broadheads, also I like fixed blades for deer.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

You do need to try out what ever brand of broad head you plan on using. Especially the fixed broad heads. I have found most all my mechanicals fly true, with little exception, but my fixed have certain ones that will not fly right. Personally I try out my broad heads before I use them just to make sure they fly true.

Quick Reply: New to bowhunting.....need advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.