Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how good are deer memory? >

how good are deer memory?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how good are deer memory?

Old 09-18-2006, 05:04 PM

Default RE: how good are deer memory?

I think it was last year that either Field and Stream, or Outdoor Life had an article written by a deer Biologist, maybe someone else read it that can back me up. The article said something to the effect of if you startle a deer but don't scare it enough to make it run away, the deer will only remember to be on alert for about 5 minutes, after that it totally doesn't remember what scared them in the first place.

Like I said maybe someone else read that article and possibly remembers more about it than I do, but from what I can remember I think that was the gist of it.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know squat about deer memory. But this thread and its talk about age and memory got me to thinking about something I learned a long time ago.

Up to a certain age, people don’t realize the idea of permanence. Here’s how it manifests. Take a very young child and tell him you are going to hide a toy. Right in front of him, take the toy and put in under a pillow on the couch. Then, while the child watches, take the (same) toy from under the pillow and hide it under a different pillow. The child will search under the first pillow first, even though they saw you take the toy from there and put it under the second pillow.

I can’t remember the cutoff age for this, but I think it is either 6 months old or 2 years old.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Dominant Buck

My wife does that except she hides in different rooms. I always go to the bedroom, first.

I'm 41.

Jeff
Old 09-19-2006, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

hehe