Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My first archery kill! On opening day! >

My first archery kill! On opening day!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My first archery kill! On opening day!

Old 09-16-2006, 01:36 PM

Default My first archery kill! On opening day!

Well the long awaited opening day did not go to waste. I went out this morning at 4:45am and after bumbling around for an hour I finally got all ready for the opening which started at 6:01am. With the wind perfect and the overcast clouds it looked like it would be a good day. Well turns out I had to work at 9:45am so I only had a couple of hours. As it neared the one hour till I had to leave markit would be really nice to at least see a deer before I left. Well about two minutes later I heard a snap and looked to my left and I saw an ear twitching and man oh man I heart started pumping. There were 4 deer. Two of which were fawns browsing about 25 yards away in some really thick stuff down in a little kettle. Well after the torture of having to watch them for like 5 min. before they even started my way was about to kill me. Well finally after what seemed an eternity one of the fawns headed my way. I thought for one sec. that I would maybe shoot it. Well, it only lasted one sec. Its mama was about 5 yard behind. The fawn stopped right in my favorite shooting lane and stood therefor close to a minute. Its(I dont know what it was) mother was finally coming to that same lane and I got so exited it felt like my heart was going to fly right out of my chest. As soon as she got into my shooting lane I started to draw but, she must have seen me move so a staredown followed while I tryed to keep the bow up(not drawn yet) so she wouldnt see me. My arm got so tired holding the bow that way that I almost had to put it down but, she finally moved on into my next lane where as she was going I was able to draw undetected as soon as she got there I let her have it. At exactly 15 yards the fatal arrow hit its mark. She was slightly quartering away so the arrow topped with 100 grain rage 2 blade heads entered at the paunch area and came out at the lungs. She ran for about 100 yards in a circle and then died 25 yards from my stand. Man I was shaking when it was over! Thanks to the wind scent lok scent killer spray and an all season deer attractant to cover any remaining scent I was able to go undetected by 4 deer. Needless to say I was very happy. Here is a pic

For some reason the deer looks alot smaller in the pic. But, who cares! I am very happy with her. Thanks for the advice that I have been given on this forum! It was one of severy things that made this a successful hunt.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My first archery kill! On opening day!

Way to go!
Old 09-16-2006, 01:46 PM

Thanks turkeystalker! I found out that bowhunting is sooooooooo much better than gun. Not just in the quality of the hunt but in the exitement when you get 15 yards from a deer instead of 200 in gun hunting. I am now officially an addict.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats man i know what you mean i got mine one week ago today and boy was i shaking no i dont have any trouble keeping it on a doe but a buck now that is a different story
Old 09-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the first bow kill!! I bet your stoked, but are you sure you shot the mother?
Old 09-16-2006, 02:03 PM

ORIGINAL: snake123

but are you sure you shot the mother?
I am sure that it "was" a mother. It was not nearly as small as the picture portrayed and it had a milk filled udder. So yes I am sure that it was a mother maybe not that particular fawns mom but yes I am sure. Quite sure
Old 09-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good for you! That doe is a trophy you will always remember!
Old 09-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go congrats
Old 09-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats........remember you can still shoot a deer at close range with a gun too.....with whatever i'm hunting with , i try to get them as close as possible....it's great, i'm so happy for you.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:35 PM

Congrats! You're addicted now, no turning back, you're in for the long haul!

Just the rush from having them in that close is enough to have you coming back for more, isn't it?

Quick Reply: My first archery kill! On opening day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.