Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Open Season

Old 09-16-2006, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default Open Season

Here in MD our bow season opened yesterday...as it probably did in other places. I'm very surprised not to find more "opening day" type stories posted this morning.
For me...I hunted early and saw nothing. In the afternoon I went to some public land and after only 15 minutes on the stand saw movement about 60 yards east of me. Using binos, I saw two faws coming down the trail toward me. I looked for mama to be following, but she never showed. As the two fawns got closer I could see that they still had some of their spots...one many more than the other. They both milled about under my tree for a bit and then went back to where they came. About 30 minutes later they showed back up again, but...ended up bedding down 22 yards away from my stand and in perfect view. It made for some good camera footage and was fun to watch...for a little bit, but I was concerned that if a shooter deer wondered in I'd be busted trying to draw. They stayed bedded for about an hour...always alert and looking about. About 30 minutes before sun set they wondered off. No other action after that.
What brought my attention to them at the very first...when they were 60 yards away...was the flickering of their tails as they were trying to combat the skeeters and flies. As I observed them up close, those tails, ears and even their back hooves scratching their faces never stopped.
I'll try again this evening...just another spot.
Best of luck to everyone.
Craig
Old 09-16-2006, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Open Season

Navy, here in Pa we have to wait until the 30th to hunt.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Open Season

OCT 1 here..