Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Taking kids...

Old 09-15-2006, 10:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default Taking kids...

How many of you are taking your kids or a friend or relatives kids bow hunting with you this fall? I'm taking both of my girls and I'm buying a blind big enough for the 3 of us to be together. Share a little of your memories of past hunts with kids and how you will set up for this fall. This will be my first year taking them with me on the actual hunts so it will be good to hear from you all. Thanks
Old 09-15-2006, 10:09 PM

Default RE: Taking kids...

I'll be taking my 9 y/o daughter this year. She's not carrying, but she'll be in the blind with me as well. My 15 y/o son has been hunting for several years, but I'll of course be taking him as well. I have a friend who's son is an awesome bow shot, and he is begging his mom to go with him. She of course won't....but I'll be taking him a couple times this year as well.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Spike

I'm taking my oldest kid with me for the first time in a week or two. He's seven and I can't wait to see what he does when the first deer comes by. I'm sure I won't ever forget that moment.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Typical Buck

Cool, my daughter is 9 coming along too to see deer, take video and pictures and just learn. She really wants to hunt in a couple of years. I'll be also taking my 6 year old as well but I think she will be more interested in the portable DVD player with her headphones.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Typical Buck

Sdmonster that will be special. Bring a camera and capture the memories.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'll be taking two 6yr olds, just like last year...
Old 09-16-2006, 08:14 AM

I'm taking both of my girls (Twins) 10 years old and hunt out of a ground blind they will just be watching but they can't wait and neither can I it will be fun,next year they will get to take the shot,they are pretty good shots they just don't have the poundage up high enough on their bows yet,,,main thing too rember is to MAKE IT FUN and you will have a life long hunting partner
Old 09-16-2006, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing with kids.....they get bored if they aren't seeing anything.

I've taken my step son and daughter since they were 12.
They are now 17.

They were like nite and day in the way they hunted.

My step son would hunt all day and never complain but he wouldn't pay attention. He'd be looking at the ground, playing with a stick and generally just not looking for game. He would hunt no matter what the weather and would not give up.

My daughter on the other hand, got bored quickly. She always was ready to go home and complained constantly. She was always looking for game though. She would constantly search for animals and listen for sounds. She never fiddled around. Many, many times she would spot game before me and actually had to point it ouy so I could see it. When she hunted, she hunted but got bored after a few hours.

I spent many hours at the range letting them shoot their .22's from hunting type positions. I also encourage many dry fire sessions at home. Both kids are excellent shots.

The most enjoyable times I've had hunting, have been with the kids.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

I just took my 6 year old thins morning. We lasted almost 2 hours. It was longer then I expected and we even got to turkey and deer. He had fun and told everyone in the restraunt this morning about his hunt