Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow Maintenance After Rain >

Bow Maintenance After Rain

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Maintenance After Rain

Old 09-14-2006, 02:39 PM

Default Bow Maintenance After Rain

Opening day in Md is tomorrow and the weather looks to be crappy, just like the last 2 years. Anyway, what do you guys do with your bow after you have been out in the rain? I usually just dry mine off with a towel and use some light oil on certain spots. I don't have an air compressor but I use those cans of compressed air around the cam bearings. Any other tips or tricks you guys use?
Old 09-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bow Maintenance After Rain

I dry mine real well. I unscrew things that will not effect the proformance of the bow. Like stabilizer, quiver, etc. I even use a blow dryer to dry out the hard to reach places. I then lube the bow as usual and wax as usual. I have started doing something, that others here might not like, but ive started putting string wax on my screw heads before a rainy hunt. I do so to keep them from rusting. So far it has worked great. Ive hunted many a times in the rain with out any rust.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:58 PM
Dominant Buck

The first thing I do is make sure it's waxed up really well before I take it out. I also take some silicone spray and squirt it in all the moving parts and wipe it down. When I've been out the first thing I do is walk in the garage from my hunt is wipe it down,grab a couple field points and shoot it several times. That alone will throw a lot of moisture out of hidden spots and axles, also the string. I wipe that off and take a can of this air in a can they make for dusting off computers etc. I use the little tube and work it in good around the wheels, axles and limb pockets. Wipe it down, squirt a couple shots of silicon in the axles and let it dry naturally in the house. Should be good to go.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:35 PM

david:

I have heard of this silicon spray a couple times. Where do you get this and what is it normally used for?
Old 09-14-2006, 06:35 PM

I just wipe it down and wax the strings. And try not to leave it in a case. I actually rarely use a bow case. I don't use one during hunting season. I just throw the bow in my trunk without one. Less to hassle with when I get to my hunting spot. I just pull it out and start walking. And at home it hangs on a wall when not being shot.

I do use a case if I got to indoor events though.

Paul
Old 09-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Ducsauce... try your local hardware store or maybe an autoparts store.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Dave it must be an EC thing... I have cans of air that I use all the time for cleaning bows and guns... I see a few of us here are Marylanders.. Good luck tomorrow...
Old 09-14-2006, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take it home and hang it on the hook in the garage, same as any other day. Bows generally are not made of any ferrous metals.
The only rust I have ever seen on a bow is on cheap sight components.