Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Please explain carbon shafts to me!!! >

Please explain carbon shafts to me!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Please explain carbon shafts to me!!!

Old 09-14-2006, 12:37 PM

Default Please explain carbon shafts to me!!!

Will someone please explain carbon shafts to me? What is the difference between insert and outsert and which should I buy? I want to use the whisker biscuit but I don'tknow which one to get. Is that a good rest?
Old 09-14-2006, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Please explain carbon shafts to me!!!

Insert is for your larger size carbon arrows, out sert is for the smaller carbons that and insert will not fit inside.. Get you some beeman ICS hunters, they have the inserts, also whisker bisquit is a good hunting rest..
Old 09-14-2006, 12:43 PM

Isn't a lot to explain about carbon, just another type of arrow shaft. Mainly just more durable then aluminum, and made with carbon fibers throughout. Generally layers are wrapped vertically, while some manufacturers wrap vertically/horizontally.

They have their pro's and con's, they don't bend, which is good. Either it's broke or it ain't. But if it's cracked and it is shot, bad things start happening (people get really hurt.)

WB's are good rests. I used one before I went to a dropaway. I'd suggest the quik shot, depending on your bow or not whether you'd want to drop tine.

Inserts go into the shaft, then your field point will screw into them. Most nocks on carbon arrows are inserts as well, where they just push into the shaft. Outserts are where the nock or point go around the outside diameter of the shaft.

The common one is inserts, I'd suggest putting bushings in the end of the shafts though to help resist cracking, and use a fixed field tip insert. I like PSE 300's for all of this.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:46 PM

Remember that there are three different size bisquits for the WB:
Large for aluminum arrows
Medium for carbon arrows
Small for skinny carbon arrows like Easton Axis or Pulltruded arrows (the only ones that use the outserts you were asking about these days).

I'm partial to Easton Axis ST shafts myself, although I don't use the WB.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

The easton axis arrows use the inserts not outserts, they have the HIT system ( Hidden Insert Technology)