HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Please explain carbon shafts to me!!!
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 12:43 PM
sngehl01

Default RE: Please explain carbon shafts to me!!!

Isn't a lot to explain about carbon, just another type of arrow shaft. Mainly just more durable then aluminum, and made with carbon fibers throughout. Generally layers are wrapped vertically, while some manufacturers wrap vertically/horizontally.

They have their pro's and con's, they don't bend, which is good. Either it's broke or it ain't. But if it's cracked and it is shot, bad things start happening (people get really hurt.)

WB's are good rests. I used one before I went to a dropaway. I'd suggest the quik shot, depending on your bow or not whether you'd want to drop tine.

Inserts go into the shaft, then your field point will screw into them. Most nocks on carbon arrows are inserts as well, where they just push into the shaft. Outserts are where the nock or point go around the outside diameter of the shaft.

The common one is inserts, I'd suggest putting bushings in the end of the shafts though to help resist cracking, and use a fixed field tip insert. I like PSE 300's for all of this.

Hope this helps.