Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

arrow groups

Old 09-14-2006, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default arrow groups

I was wondering when you are out shooting your bow. Do you ever have a arrow that may not hit where you want it to? I am afraid when out hunting that I will have this one arrow that wont hit a vital area. I have been starting to practice like I am really hunting trying to get in the mind set. Saying to myself I only have this arrow and to make it count. I always seem to hit my target. Then you start getting that third or forth arrow then I start getting a bit off.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: arrow groups

Id prescribe more practice. Keep doing what you are doing, practice like you hunt. Remember to take each shot as an individual shot. I think you are focusing more on your first shot more than the others. Get a routine. Go through your form with each arrow. Eventually it becomes second nature.Dont over practice. Quit when you starte getting tired or things start going crazy. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

i agree with burnie....or is it the SAME arrow every time?? number your arrows and shoot them a couple times..there could be a bad arrow in the bunch? or you just need to practice more and become consistant. and practice at getting consitant groups farther away. i read somewhere you should practice at double the range you expect to shoot. becoming consistant at 35-40-50yds makes you alot more concistant up close.

if after 3-4 arrows your tired already id say your bow is set WAY to high. i just cant get a grip on what your problem is and where it comes from....first arrow or last you gota learn to make ALL of them count. i do alot of diffrent thing. ill shoot an arrow at all my pins..should leave me with a group. if im shooting good it should be a nice group. good luck.....keep practicing..youll get there
Old 09-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Not sure what you mean by "out shooting your bow".
Outside shooting your bow.. as in practicing

I believe that's what he meant, Burnie.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:09 AM

Deerhunter, I beleive that it is human nature to lose some focus with repetition, thus bound to get a little less accurate. I think that key it to be deiliberate, use a routine, good form and just shoot. Stop when getting tired as well is a good thing.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Not sure what you mean by "out shooting your bow".
Outside shooting your bow.. as in practicing

I believe that's what he meant, Burnie.
I see. That makes sense.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one arrow that does some weird things in the air, not really sure why. I shoot 8 arrows when I practice and this one particular one flies real strange. It hits the spot, but the tail really corkscrews on the way there. That one is for practice only, and I can't really figure out what it's deal is, it looks and feels the same as the others, the fletch is all the same, who knows.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

yooper...i got one that does that too. i dont have a clue why i wanted to pull the nock and insert and inspect the inside. all 11 were shooting fine. took them all to be cut to 27 inches and that one flys funny like you described. not sure why..i want to take it apart and see if there isnt alot of glue on one side or the insert is crooked or something..but its marked and i wont shoot it until i get to the bottom of it. i hate shooting wild arrows in my backyard with neighbors and vehicles around the area.....if i miss my backstop i could be in some trouble lol. my backstop consists of 8 haybales..but still....shooting a wild arrow it could happen