Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Does - Fawns....I'm rethinking..... >

Does - Fawns....I'm rethinking.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does - Fawns....I'm rethinking.....

Old 09-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Does - Fawns....I'm rethinking.....

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Biologically, you're better off shooting the fawn anyway, as long as you can identify that it's not a yearling buck. (older does successfully breed better and are more likely to produce and successflully rear a good buck, an older doe has a better chance of successfully surviving a harsh winter, a mom without a fawn has a better chance of survivng alone than an orphaned fawn.) If I'm going to shoot a doe I'll shoot a lone doe, but given the choice of doe or fawn, I'd shoot the female fawn and if I wasn't sure it was female, I wouldn't shoot either. But I have the luxury of being a trophy hunter with herd management in mind. If I had to put meat in the freezer, I'd either shoot them both or take whatever shot presented itself and eat well with a clear conscience.
Thats how I see it. With one exception, im a pure meat hunter.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah too early for tending grunts,translated into human a tending grunt is
' Ooh Baby,of course I'll still be around in the morning'
Old 09-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know a certain member who would shoot the whole family without blinking an eye, as long as he had tags for each.

Gramp's love to shoot the little one's, LOL

Old 09-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think he meant to type "Maternal Grunt"

I'm sure by now everyone has seen my backyard deer and some are probably sick of hearing me talk about them.

Anyway........ She often makes that maternal grunt. I've heard it many times. It is a really soft sounding grunt. Even when I am within a few yards of the mother, it is very faint sounding. I doubt it could be heard from any distance by us hunters,

Old 09-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Thats cool windwalker. I have a buddy that found a small fawn once and nursed it. They raised it till maturity. He put a feeder out behind his house so she would stick around. They tied a big yellow ribon around her neck in hopes of hunters not shooting her. That doe came back to the house every night for 5 years. She would also bring her fawns with her. Now he has a bunch of deer coming to his back yard that were decendents of that original fawn. Its almost sad to set in his back yard and clean a deer while these others are watching.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

I usually won't take a doe this early in the year. Later on in the year, I don't think that it's a big deal. They should be able to survive on their own by now, but I always want to be sure that the young ones make it...for at least another year.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

Shoot the yerling does before the ole mature does,
Old 09-14-2006, 02:37 PM

Season started here Sept 1st..I have been hunting about 5 times and have seen about 10 does,..each doe has traveld with ATLEAST 2 spotted fawns..I have seen one doe with 4!! i posted a while back about whu there where so many fawns..an got back in reply because it was such a mild winter..makes since i guess..
Old 09-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

I fell the same way !
Old 09-14-2006, 06:26 PM

You all have good points, but is it possible that you will have a better chance to shoot a mature buck if there are more does for it to chase?

Quick Reply: Does - Fawns....I'm rethinking.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.