Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Open Season - Movie (Modern Day Bambi?) >

Open Season - Movie (Modern Day Bambi?)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Open Season - Movie (Modern Day Bambi?)

Old 09-13-2006, 02:12 PM

Default RE: Open Season - Movie (Modern Day Bambi?)

ORIGINAL: Reacher

I am taking my 7-yr old daughter to see it. Then we are going home and having Venison for dinner. She loves deer meat!
Probably the best thing anyone can do. While you're at it, take one of her Friends.

We'll probably be doing that next weekend as well ;-)
Old 09-13-2006, 02:45 PM

Whether they flagrantly attack hunters or notisn't really the issuesince the message is already implied in the story line you describe.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

If it's Disney, it's typical. Disney has always been very animal rights.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:13 PM

And we have to remember that there are tons of kids who will go see this movie who have no hunting influence in their life and will believe that hunters are this way. It is great if you hunt and your kids hunt and y'all think the movie is funny -- and your kids can distinguish the reality from the fantasy. Lots of kids are too young to do that and many have not been exposed to the reality of where the meat they eat comes from. Therefore, this movie will become the reality for them. That is the danger.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the childs simple world, it's the animals versus the bad guys and we're the bad guys. It's a Disney film, socount on many millions of kids seeing it. These millions of kids will be viewing hunters as the "bad guys". There will be millions of kids who's only knowledge of hunting is what they saw in this movie. It's enough to turn non-hunting children into anti-hunting children. Sadlymany of themwill carry this opinionwith them into adulthood.

Think about how hard it is to get a child interested in hunting. We have to work one on one, teach him how to shoot, teach him the rules and ethics, and take him with us to the field. Hopefully he'll like it and want to continue. That's one more on our side.

Now this movie comes along. Millions of kids who had no opinion of hunters now have a negative opinion of hunters. That's millionsmore on"their side" now.We gotta take alot of kids hunting to erase that damage.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:45 AM

The trailer was quite funny but i don't see it being to harmful to our love of hunting as lots of young boys who will watch it will get the hunting bug later in their lives. I know we will also have a number of young girls who will also take up hunting aswell and its up to us as hunters to install humane hunting ethics in our young ones so that our pahion for hunting continues on for many more generations. If we promote bowhunting in an ethical way for all to enjoy i don't see there being any problems. Safe and happy hunting to you all.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Even at 5 years old my son can distinguish between movies, cartoons, and real life. What he really knows and learns about hunting, the outdoors, and wildlife comes from me and his own outdoor experiences. Not froma 1 1/2 hr kids movie.I am not worried about this one at all, in my humble opinionit's a non-issue.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's just more crap from the anti's. I wonder how many of them eat meat....
Old 09-14-2006, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

To the bear YOU are the evil villian!
Old 09-14-2006, 07:03 AM

It is just a movie, and its influence on YOUR kids will be as deep or as shallow as you let it be.

This movie appears to play more along the lines of Wiley Coyote and the Roadrunner and it's slapstick over the top visual humor in the pursuit of a meal than Bambi's pursuit by Hunters who's sole destruction of the woods and all in it scared the crap out of a lot of kids. Being the father of a kid who absoluteyy loves everything to do with animals, this type of flick is just juvenile humor that will not bridge the gap to real life.... but should make for a funny show to see and laugh at the make believe "battle" between Hunter and Hunted.

Personally, I am looking forward to seeing it. For those of uswho are watching these types of movies with our kids, at least the subject of hunting is in a movie! It will be kind of like watching Blue Collar TV (Jeff Foxworthy), just laughing at an over the top stereo-type portrayal of those who love the outdoors! I'm all for it, but then again I am not of the "eveyone is out to get me" camp.

Quick Reply: Open Season - Movie (Modern Day Bambi?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.