Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

washing clothes

Old 09-12-2006, 06:53 PM

Default washing clothes

i got the laundry detergent that is scent free and makes clothes scent free.... but should i put them in my dryer to dry them or should i wait until tomorrow to wash and then dry outside?
Old 09-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: washing clothes

I wash mine in baking soda then air dry. Then they go into BIG Zip Lock bags!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:16 PM

The dryer works well, but use low heat to protect the camo. Some guys will tell you to run the dryer empty and use a fresh earth dryer sheet before drying your clothes......ahhhhh....whatever. Hanging outside is always a good thing to do though.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my system
1. Fill the washer with hot water and a cup of baking soda and run a cycle empty.
2. Wash the towels that you will use when showering in Baking soda,then add more baking soda at the rinse. Place in the dryer with a small amount of baking soda. Dry those.
3. Wash your base layers next with a scent killer type detergent,dryin dryer.
4. Wash your outer layers last and dry in dryer.
Seems like a lot but you're de-scenting the washer and dryer systematically and working your way up to the outermost clothes which will be scent free when you're done
(I thought of the earth scent dryer sheets but my wife would kill me if her clothes smelled like dirt!)
Old 09-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

Lots of good advice, I do very similiar, sometimes it's dryer, sometimes it's cloths line.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:16 AM

When my hunting gear gets very muddy or dirty, usually during NJ shotgun season, I sometimes use a non-dye and scent free detergent. That works good and I use the drier or hang dry. Sorry, but my bow hunting wardrobe is different. I don't think I have washed the jacket and pants ever! I only hunt in them. When I field dress or track, I am usually in my jeans and sweatshirt because I returned to my truck to unload my gear, etc.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:49 AM

thanks for all of the advice guys its really helped
Old 09-13-2006, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I run one load empty in the washer, just to get the residual detergent out and then I use the earth scented soap. I'd wash all my clothes in it if my wife would let me! I always air dry because I am paranoid of anything shrinking, and at my size I need all the material to be at its full capacity! Then, everything goes in bins with scent wafers or some spruce boughs.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

I use similar steps. The only thing i do different ismy drying. I do almost all of my hunting on my grandfather's farm so that's where I keep most of my gear. After I finish washing I air dry outside, but I take my clothes about 100 yards from the house. I do this because we have a big family and people are always comming, going, driving, smoking, etc.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always air-dry my hunting clothes. If you use a dryer make sure your wife doesn't slip in one of those scented static cling sheets.

Quick Reply: washing clothes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.