Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gene problem

Old 09-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gene problem

ive been hunting my property for 20 years and theres plenty of deer, the only problem is ive only seen 1 buck over 120 inches, here a prime buck is 100 class MAYBE, it kinda stinks cause all the racks on my wall are so small and people say you should let them grow and they can be monsters, and i say the problem is that deer is a 7 year old 4 pt... im embarresed to post pics of the bucks ive got, when you guys are posting your 16 pointers lol..
is there any thing i can do to get these deer to get past 100 inches lol?
Old 09-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gene problem

I've got an idea for you..... read this thread.
http://www.huntingnet.com//forum/tm.aspx?m=1692063

You shouldn't be embarrassed about any deer. They are all unique and all very special. Some places are lucky enough to grow monsters, others aren't. But, if hunting is all about getting nothing but monster bucks, there is a bigger problem than what is in the local gene pool. At least thats my opinion.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:21 PM

Sorry, I dont think theres a fix for bad genes. Do your deer have a good food supply, like crops, maybe thats your problem.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same problem ABarOfSoap. I have a couple different pieces of property to choose from to hunt on, however, the one that I normally go to, for reasons not related to this thread, has most small bucks. I think we saw a 10 pointer one time. I would be interested in figuring out how to "grow 'em big"
Old 09-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

ive been hunting my property for 20 years and theres plenty of deer, the only problem is ive only seen 1 buck over 120 inches, here a prime buck is 100 class MAYBE, it kinda stinks cause all the racks on my wall are so small and people say you should let them grow and they can be monsters, and i say the problem is that deer is a 7 year old 4 pt... im embarresed to post pics of the bucks ive got, when you guys are posting your 16 pointers lol..
is there any thing i can do to get these deer to get past 100 inches lol?
Go find a deer farm and borrow a buck during the rut. Then put him back, LOL

Where do you hunt?
Old 09-12-2006, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

im defintley proud of any deer i shoot, i hunt in this place at upstate NY, its so bad here that this year theres a 3 pt minimum in just my area lol... but places 50 miles away grow monsters [X(]
Old 09-12-2006, 06:17 PM

wee had the same problem at our farm because if was originally a place for cows so all it had was fescue and no crops all we had were meture basket racks but since we started planting corn and clover and putting plenty of bag mineral and mineral on the ground and suplementing their food with corn and soybeans mixed with mineral in the offseason we have drawn better deer and have increased the atler growth of the deer allready on the property and you need to let the medium deer go so that they can get bigger and just kill the mature deer so we went from aolmost all basket racks to this.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:18 PM

and this

Old 09-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow you got a lot of yellow stuff on the ground. here i Mi they haul you away if that much is on the ground.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:45 PM

My only suggestion is for you to start feeding them something with a large amount of phospherous in it, as it helps during antler growth.

I'm not garaunteeing it will work, but your deer could be lacking in that part of their nutrition.