Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scrapes already

Old 09-12-2006, 01:43 PM

Default scrapes already

went out yesterday scouting saw alot of acorns and deer sign.found one scrape that looked fresh with doe **** in it already can anybody beleive that? and this is in massachusetts, past couple nights have been in high 30's to low 40's at night that gets the blood pumping.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:47 PM

Default RE: scrapes already

Nice....what part of Mass you from Big Ten?

I live near Cape Cod.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:17 PM

belchertown mass near umass amherst
Old 09-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

i've been seeing some scrapes nothing withany strong urine scent probably young bucks or territory scrapes.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do we not know the quarry for which we hunt?

Territory scrape are very common this time of year. How do you know it was doe urine in the scrape? Did you see her do it? Did you smell it and you can distinguish urines? I'm assuming that's what you meant by the ****. Don't even begin to think rut or estrous doe. Remember even if bucks fight, bucks run after does and does run away this time of year, bucks are always ready, always ready and until the does come into estrous, it's not the "rut".

Every year we get "The rut is on!" because someone, somewhere sees a buck chase a doe, so what, when I was younger I chased women, doesn't mean they were ready for me. Bucks are always ready, bucks don't regulate the rut, bucks only participate when the does "rut". Yes bucks do rituals every year include rubs, scrapes, sparing, fighting all leading up to the doe's "rut". The bucks would breed in July if a doe would let him, they may not have the urge but put a receptive doe there and it'll happen, I wouldn't call it the rut but a freak breeding.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scrapes can be found year round. Does make them as well as bucks. May be a good spot to watch because when the does become ready to breed the bucks will find them.
The velvet is off here in central Pa. and that means bucks are ready to breed even if the does are not. It is the amount of daylight that gets the blood pumping in bucks and the does dictate the time breeding will occur. The cool weather is nice but no indication of the rut. Patience young grasshopper it will be here before you know it....
Old 09-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

When hunting a scrape, I like to sit downwind about 30 yards or so, many bucks will scent check them from downwind and if your sitting on the scrape you might not see them. Depending on your terrain, more than 30 yards might be a good idea, then rely on a deer call.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Typical Buck

Deer even scrape the ground to find food like acorns and such. The scrapes you're finding prolly dont have a licking branch overtop do they?
Old 09-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

Anthony T. that is a good point. I like the comment about knowing the doe pee is there. ha ha
Old 09-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

I seen a scrape with urine in it and a licking branch on saturday. I wasn't drawing any conculsions from it other then a deer was in the area earlier that day due to the urine still being somewhat wet looking. ( notice looking, doesn't mean I got down and touched it.)