Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Suggestions!!!

Old 09-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Suggestions!!!

Here is a map of some new hunting land that I recently got permission to hunt on in Central IL. The red line is the property line to the best of my knowledge. I know alot of you really know how to read a map and pick out a good spot to hunt. I am looking for suggestions. This is my first experience in mapping my hunting area. So any suggestions would be great. I know there are some nice deer on the property, I just don't really know where to start. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Suggestions!!!

Left of your big bean field in the middle looks to be a good funnel runing up and down there. Also coming in from the west or left meeting up with your funnel is another. I would put a stand rightin the middle of the strip of wood where these meet. During the rut that is going to be a highway ofbucks trying to get to the big timber lots looking for does and during the chase phase Im sure does will be chased through thosenatural funnels. Two funnels in one, looks like a sweat spot!!!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

tschammel,
I marked with a yellow dot where i think you are talking about. Please let me know if i have it right.
thanks for the help. i'll give it a try.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Thats the spot! Thats where I would sit. This arial photo thing I have been using the last couple of years to locate such funnels and areas like this in my hunting zones. It has given me some up my most productive spots ever, especially during the rut when the big boys come out of hiding and are moving. What state are located in, do you have a good amount of big deer in your area?

Oh depending on what it looks like inside the woods I would maybe even put two setups in there for a westerly wind and some kind of easterly wind. Make sure they both work though if the wind is coming out of the north for that is when deer will move the most, with that cool air. Let me know how it worked for you. Looks sweat.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

hey tschammel,
Im in centrall, IL.so there are a good number of big deer around here.I'm actually hunting scott county which borders the infamous Pike county IL. Sure you have probably heard of it. Not sure why but Scott never produce a large number of trophy deer like its neighbor Pike. Maybe it has something to do with the Illinois river seperating the two. I'm not sure. Nonetheless there are some nice deer anywhere you go in the state. Thanks for the help like I said this is my first experience with mapping my hunting area, I really didn't know what to look for.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:17 AM

I saw that you were online and was wondering if you could help me out. I just bought some C'mere Deerattractant (powder form)I put some down waited about 3-5 days came back and I didn't see any results. I bought the powder form and just put some in a pileright on top of the grass. but there where no tracks by the pile and the grass wasnt even disturbed. now about 15to 20 yardsaway there are deer tracks all over the place down around my ponds and big pear tree. Nowdid I do something wrong or what. [/align]
Old 09-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

deer hunter, try a PM, it may get you a responce quicker.

I would hunt point (the middle one)by the water (i think it is) that stretches a little into the corn field. Is that a main road? If not, look for trails that cross it and follow them right to the bedding area.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

its definately not a main road. may have 1 or 2 cars per hour. Just a gravel road.