Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

suggestions

Old 03-06-2005, 02:15 PM

Default suggestions

Just looking for some suggestions. I'm looking to get a new bow, draw is a little less than 27 inches, would like 55-65 or 60-70 lb draw. I'd like to be able to set it up with a drop away rest and a 1 pin adjustible sight in the summer for 3d shoots, then a whisker biscuit and a 4 pin site for hunting so i'm probably best off buying a bare bow and getting accessories for it instead of buying a kit. I shoot realease with a loop on the string and use a hip quiver (so the bow doesn't need set up for a quiver). How much I spend is adjustable, so if possible I'd like to get a list of bows with varying prices. I'd also like a variety of brands along with single cam, 1.5 cam, and double cam variety.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2005, 02:21 PM

Default RE: suggestions

Just like everyone else on this forum says just shoot a variety of bows and see what fits you best and all the good stuff but you can get a good bow anywhere from about 350 all the way up to like 700, just get what you can hit the target with.

BB90
Old 03-06-2005, 03:15 PM

Not putting the quiver on the bow? You are a smart man. I start looking for bows by looking at what you want. I hate solo cams, short brace heights, and short ATA lengths. That pretty much left me with the Protec and the Constitution. I bought both and I like the Protec, so that is what I'm going to shoot this year.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do you have one now, if so what is it? You've been around here a while which are you leaning towards? What kind do you have in your area? I've been to two places in the past week and the pickens are slim. Might be the wrong time of year. Real drag. Fishing is gearing up around hear. I enjoy it but so do thousands of other people around here (great lakes area). Can't get obsessed with it. Kind of like a pacifier. Well, look forward to hearing what you choose. Give us an honest review.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:48 PM

reflex grizzly its 300.00 dollars and made by hoyt has same cams and vibration system. www.reflexbow.com is the web sight. i also like pse bows to.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:57 PM

I recently bought a new bow. I shot Mathews Switchback, Outback, Hoyt Vtec, Xtec and Bowtech Blackknight, Allegiance. There is a list of $700-750 bows that are all high quality. If you are looking for a little less money. I would also suggest Reflex. My only suggestion there is to go with the machined riser models. Buckskin, Timberwolf or Superslam. I had an Excursion which is a cast riser and I would shy away from them. There are alot of good bows out there. Go to a bunch of pro shops and shoot alot of different bows to find the one that fits you best.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had an Excursion which is a cast riser and I would shy away from them.
Just curious, I just bought a Reflex Grizzly which has the magnesium riser why would you shy away. What does the other riser other than weight do better?
Old 03-06-2005, 05:51 PM

Right now i have a PSE deer hunter, its the first bow i owned and when i got it i was new to archery. I went to gander mountain and the pro archery guy there picked one out for me (it was in a kit). I could shoot good groups at 5-10 yards and it was on clearence so i accepted his suggestion. The deer hunter is just not the fastest or smoothest bow out there though. It also only goes up to 55 lbs and I'd like to be able to shoot 65 or so. Even though i haven't been in archery long i love the sport and i shoot every day, i guess i kind of just feel i need a little more seriouse equipment for how serious of a shooter i am.

I went to gander mountain and scheels this weekend, you're right both are a little low on bows, especially gander.

As for trying different bows, how do they do that? They are on the shelf with no sights or rest. Do they just take the bow you want to try and slap one of each on there? Has anyone ever had an unpleasant salesman that got tired of you trying bows?
Old 03-07-2005, 09:15 AM

Also What do you guys think about buying a used bow? Scheels has a decent selection of used bows, not tons but a few.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Shoot em up, try em out, you'll find the one you like. Never buy a bow without trying it first.