Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Annual: Be Proud of What You Shoot! >

Annual: Be Proud of What You Shoot!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Annual: Be Proud of What You Shoot!

Old 09-13-2006, 03:10 PM

Default RE: Annual: Be Proud of What You Shoot!

Last year, my first bow kill ever was a nice fat yearling doe and the second was a doe fawn like the one Rob described. When I got it registered the shop owner openly joked about it - putting his hands out to show how little he thought it was. I smiled and said where's your's? The guy didn't fill a tag that year - not by choice - but because he never got a shot off. I am dang proud of both of my first bow deer that I took last year. They are both trophys and provided experiences I will never forget. Game on come Saturday. WHOOOOOOO!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

good post...ill bring this up when i shoot a yearling and am bragging about it and i get flammed for it. itll be my first year bowhunting. im bragging if i shoot a groundhog or a bunny! if i kill a LIVE deer or turkey you guys watch out ill be posting the 9pg story and 20 pics to prove it lol!
Old 09-13-2006, 09:02 PM

I hunt by my signature. I never apologize for what I choose to shoot. I hunt for myself, self satisfaction that I was able to fool the quarry that I hunt. Not to say I never get busted. I do and that's part of the game. When I connect it's all about me and every second that I put into the entire hunt. From scouting to stand placement, slipping in and making the right move at the right time.

One thing that bristles me, makes the hackles stand up on the back of my neck is when I hear someone say...it's not bad deer for a self-bow, or a recurve, or it's not as big as "so 'n so's". Why make ANY excuse for what you've accomplished?????

I know bowhunters that have hunted for many years that would give their left nut, or both for that matter for what someone else thinks is small, or doesn't rank with the local guy/gal that scores on the big bone year after year.

Don't set your goals to what someone else has done in the past. If you do, you'll become disappointed anddisgruntled. It's not a competition. It's about the experience. Not acquired experience, but what you love to do.

Ok, off the band wagon.

Bow shoots spot on, clothes are washed and packed in the totes, and it's about 2 weeks before I can climb into my first stand...I'm NOT counting the days, nor am I overly anxious to get HUNTIN'!...I can't lie very well either. My wife tells me that all the time...wonder why...
Old 09-14-2006, 04:33 AM

For me success with my bow is not whether or not i harvest an animal its all about getting up close and personal with an animal blessed with senses 10 times that of ours. If i can get a shot at a big game animal and i miss it then i am not sulking too much as its still a win for me as i got inside that animals radar. No matter what we shoot with our bows we should be greatful and treasure the moment as we have been lucky enough to take what so few are able to experience around the world. Whether it is small game or big game its a reason to be proud. Treasure your experiences and happy hunting to you all.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Amen.

Have you noticed we have a lot of newbie bowhunters here? Do we want them swelling up and busting because they are afraid to post here because their animal might not "measure" up? Heck no. They are trophies. All of them.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

I will have my little guy with my for the first few days when it is still warm. I told him that he could pick the first deer I shoot.I will be willing to bet that no matter the size it will be one if my favorite hunts and the fact that I will get a deer close enough to shoot with a 6yr old in the blind with me is going to be a feat in itself. By the way he has aready decided that he doesn't want me to shoot a "baby deer" so there are a few stipulations.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:38 AM

We supposed to post our pics on this thread?
Old 09-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is one of my favorite threads guys! The realistic posts and reality kills for us guy who don't hunt prime whitetail country!
Good luck guys. I am always proud of my does and little bucks. Hunt hard. Be safe. Have fun! And good luck.
Can't wait to see some pics!
Old 09-18-2006, 09:18 PM

Well im also a newbe to killing a deer with a bow, I have shot plenty with a gun mostly does but they are all trophys to me, But this is my 3rd year bowhunting and the other night i hit a doe but i guess i only hit one lung because she went a long ways and i tired my hardest to find her but just couldnt, I really hated lossing her but i no that will happen every so often, but now i really am gonna try harder to get one, I almost took a shot tonight to. But it just didnt work out, had a doe about 12 yds away and when i was gonna shot she turned and faced dead away from me then just never gave me the shot, But hopefully this year i will get one. If i do get one it will deffently be the most cherised (sp)deer i ever take i think. even if its small. Its just that when i get one it will be like i hunted 3 years for this deer and now i have finally done it, I cant wait for the day.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always look forward to this thread. I remember my fist deer with a bow. It was a yearling doe that I shot on a spot and stalk hunt in the rain. I was so proud I could not contain myself.

I love seeing any hunter with a bigger than life smile while showing off their trophy.....especially the youngsters. I hope we all remember this thread when people post pics of small bucks throughout the season. If they are taking the time to post a pic on here then they are proud and we should be happy for them.

Quick Reply: Annual: Be Proud of What You Shoot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.