Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 releasing with middle finger >

releasing with middle finger

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

releasing with middle finger

Old 09-10-2006, 04:42 PM

Default releasing with middle finger

Well i was shooting today at 30 yards basically the whole time. And my groups were ok, like 4 in. groups. I have the block 4x4 and i would have like 2 in the black dots like toward the outside of the dot, and have one just outside of the dot. I got to thinkn that when i pull the trigger with my index finger i have to bring my finger across the release, and i had the idea to use my middle finger because it is more in-line with the trigger and i would be pulling back more than sideways wit my index finger. So i moved up to 10 yards just to see if my anchor point would be any different, none. so i move back to 30 and my first 3 arrows are all inside the dot. I go get them and shoot again, all 3 inside the dot again. I had improved my groups to about 2 1/2 inches at 30 yards.I dont know if anyone else pulls the trigger on their release with their middle finger but i think if your lookin for a little better groups to atleast try it.....it worked for me i couldnt be happier .
Old 09-10-2006, 04:50 PM

Default RE: releasing with middle finger

Never tried..ill give it a try. Thanks
Old 09-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

Im going to try that maybe i will be able to shoot better.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:36 PM

My little bro just called a few nights ago and said he is also trying this method of releasing w/ great success....Maybe you guys are on to something......
Old 09-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is an intresting concept, I may try that as well.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Been doing it for a couple years. I also use my second knuckle (middle of my finger). Makes the release to short to put my index finger behind the trigger (middle finger is) so when pulling the bow so the muscles associated with it aren't used in the draw, it's noticeably harder. Takes some getting used to but I like it much better than using the end of my index finger. Hard to explain the benefits.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ah yes, you are now discovering something that many of us target shooter and veteran shooters have known for quite a while not to mention something we've been preaching on here for some time. When shooting a release, regardless of triggering style, thumb, index finger, pinky or "Stans" type release, you should do so using back tension, There are too many sensory nerves in the tips of your index finger to rely when triggering a release. (Between mind and finger) When triggering an index trigger release you should shorten the release so your finger falls over the release so it fits into your second knuckle and apply back tension. What you did was change your triggering style and it's a matter of time until you develope the same bad habits as pulling the trigger with your index finger. Wait and see, otherwise, shorten your release, lay your finger over and apply back tension.

It's tougher in a hunting situation however, it'll make you a better target shooter.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Typical Buck

makes extreame sence releasing with your index finger puts sideways pull to your string causing the arrow to have a wobble= an "off" shot. your middle on the other hand is inline with the trigger so there will be less if not no sideways pull= on target
Old 09-11-2006, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

hmm very interesting concept never tried it before, ill have to give it a whirl before season starts on saturday.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I find that using the middle finger can be an emotional release as well.

Quick Reply: releasing with middle finger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.