Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Latest overrated fad? >

Latest overrated fad?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Latest overrated fad?

Old 09-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Latest overrated fad?

took this one today. I used the range finder, and it told me 48 yards, may have been 47 by the time I let fly. Knowing the exact distance is what put my tag on her!

I can usually judge range pretty good, but at longer ranges, KNOWING the exact range is the difference between success and failure! Not all of us sit in tree stands where you can only shoot 20 yards
Old 09-08-2006, 09:48 PM

Congrats, Howler....knowing the exact distance undoubtedly gave you some extra confidence. That alone makes it worth the price. Continued good luck.

Red
Old 09-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great post howler, and even greater pic! A big congratulations to you, sir!
Old 09-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

From my understanding, bow range is supposed to be horizontal distance, so do rangefinders adjust for stand altitude or is it just a point-to-point measurement?
You're correct in the assertion about horizontal distance, and it's what causes a lot of bowhunters to shoot high. Although there are a few rangefinders starting to hit the market that claim to be able to adjust for this, I haven't heard too many great things about them at this point.

You could shoot a few known objects while you were still on the ground, but I find it much simpler to just pick out a tree I want to range and follow its trunk up to the level of my treestand, which is usually 20 feet or so. I then range that tree at that horizontal distance, much as you suggested. That gives me the real distance I should shoot for.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:51 AM

While I agree with some of the things listed being not very effective, I don't agree that we should put the label of 'fad' on some of them.

I love my ground blind and have taken turkey and deer from one.

As far as fads go... hold on to your black and white TVs guys, this color TV fad is gonna be over any day now.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm surprised no one said "UV Killer."

I see that as being a real money waster. I'm surprised it made any money at all, but the advertising campaign worked and people bought it. I actually had one of the salemen still try to sell me this stuff even after I told him that I washed all my hunting clothes in baking soda only! I rarely get picked off.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:42 AM
Dominant Buck

[blockquote]quote:

Camoflaged underwear
[/blockquote]

That invention came to fruition with Davidmil in mind, I think
Now hold on thar..... I don't own any camo undies and don't plan on buying any. Things are hard enough to find somedays without hiding them under camo.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

many guys are like me and use a climber at times thats the only/first time in need that range finder to get the true range on the longer shoots. IF the reason behind this was to give the "weekenders" a hard time Why the parella limbs comment
Old 09-09-2006, 09:01 PM
dws

I don't know if tis item will sell enough to become a fad or not but it is definately the most useless gadget I have ever seen. The deer'eere. It's like a taper reamer, you stick it in a deers butt and twist it a few times then pull it out and the intestines are cut loose and stay attatched to this thing so you can tie them off. I'm not kidding.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

i would agree on that

Quick Reply: Latest overrated fad?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.