Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you go after for deer #1 of the year >

What do you go after for deer #1 of the year

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you go after for deer #1 of the year

Old 08-31-2006, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you go after for deer #1 of the year

You do whatever you want! Last year was my first bow season ever (shot targets for years) and I just wanted to get on the board. I took a small buck. I have much more confidence in my shooting ability and on thekilling powerof the bow. This year I will take a doe on a friends land and then will wait for a buck L8R in the season on the public land that I have huntedfor years. The best buck Ihave from the big woodswas a basket 4x4. Anything equal or bigger would bea trophy to me on that land. With rifle or MZloader its over 120" and its a shooter.
Hunt for yourself, if a doe is your first deer, than that is a trophy deer..... in my books. If everyone waited for the next 'Hansen Buck', 'Jordon Buck', or 'Old Mossy Horns' to walk out then there would be a severe population problem and more deer for me to shoot.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:56 PM
Typical Buck

I'll take any size doe anytime until the tags are gone thats 4 total and I'll wait on a nice buck
Old 09-01-2006, 05:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I look for good body mass , doe or buck , my freezer comes first since I meat hunt only . This year I'm also looking to take extra antlerless deer to help our DNR reduce their numbers , the local chapter of Farmers and Hunters Helping the Hungry is steering me toward a processor where I can donate field dressed carcasses for free . My goal is four or better .
Old 09-01-2006, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

I will take a doe or two this year right away. I've seen only does on the property until the rut kicks in so I'm not worried about spooking any bucks. Time for a little managment this year.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:04 AM
Dominant Buck

My game plan is to hunt my honey hole opening day.....and hopefully catch one of the 8's or the 10 off-guard. If not.....I'll likely give it a rest for a couple of weeks.....and wait for the right wind.

I've got two more areas to hunt, this year......and I'm going to be a little selective in one of those areas. I'll wait a bit to see what the place is holding.....then I'll likely take a doe or two.

Third area.....is an area that a friend of mine and I have been asked to come and shoot deer. If we see them like I think we will......I'll probably take a doe or two from there.

I plan to shoot a buck and 2-3-4 does, this year. I also have access to 1,000 acres in VA that the same buddy is going to take me to......where they have an 8 point minimum (I knew the new Nikon's would be needed!). I've also got a co-worker with 40 acres in VA.....and he's seen a nice 10, there.

The only thing I need more of this year.....is time.

This is gonna be MY year. I hope it's yours, too.

Jeff
Old 09-01-2006, 06:06 AM

I'll shoot a mature doe from day one. Once I have meat in the freezer, I'll try for that elusive wallhanger!
Old 09-01-2006, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im going to be stacking does this fall like cotton wood. Holding out for one of the really nice bucks i have been seeing all summer.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:56 AM

Guess I haven't a different outlook, but I try to get four to five does before I start looking for bucks...I like filling up my freezer before I worry about antlers. Don't get me wrong, I like to get me a big ol buck to hang on the wall, but them antlers are hard to cook and not very edible, unless you're a squirrel.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

Meat first then hunt horns
Old 09-01-2006, 07:26 AM

looking for my 1st this year.....that being said...I'm taking what I can get...have a doe permit, so would love to get a doe...then go after my buck.

Quick Reply: What do you go after for deer #1 of the year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.